COVID-19 Information and Updates

Last updated August 31, 2020 -2:00pm EST

As Canada continues to deal with the repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Office of the Registrar is working to protect your health and support your academic success during this time. Please see the information below on service and process changes related to COVID-19, this page will be updated regularly as information becomes available. For the latest COVID-19 information as it relates to UTSC and campus operations, click here.



UTSC Office of the Registrar COVID-19 FAQ and Information

General Information

I'm having an issue submitting an online final exam, what do I do?
Please review information on the Late Submission of Online Final Exams.
I  submitted a petition and have not received a decision on it. Now I want to cancel it, what do I do?
To cancel a petition already submitted, please write to Ensure that you include your name, student number and petition No (PT12345)

Credit/No Credit (CR/NCR) policy for impacted courses 
For all undergraduate courses that are impacted this Winter 2020 term, the following exceptions to the standard CR/NCR policy will apply:
Credits earned with a final mark of at least 50% will be noted with a CR notation on your transcript in lieu of a numerical grade. You will be allowed to use these courses to fulfill your program completion requirements. 
You may choose the CR/NCR option for any or all of your Winter 2020 courses and they will not count toward the standard 2.0 credit limit. There will be no limit to the number of credits that you can choose to declare as 

CR/NCR for the Winter 2020 term. For example, a student may declare CR/NCR for 2.5 credits of their Winter 2020 courses under this new exception and it will not deduct from the standard 2.0 credit limit. NOTE: while a grade of CR will appear on the academic records of students who choose this option, the actual percentage grade earned in those courses, which will not appear on students’ academic records, will be used by the departments of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, Management, Psychology and Sociology for purposes of assessing admission to limited enrolment Subject Posts. All other departments may use a similar evaluation method for determining entry to limited enrolment programs. 

How long will it take to process my CR/NCR request?

Please click here to see information on CR/NCR processing timelines: Message to students who have requested CR/NCR for Winter 2020 (Updated April 14, 2020).

I submitted a petition for a re-read OR late submission of term work, what will happen to my request?
Due to the COVID-19 related campus closures, we are unable to move forward on these petitions because they require both students and staff to be onsite. Students would have to request the exam (or view it) and submit clear and concise details on why a re-read is justified. Staff in turn, must be on-site to send copies of examinations to instructors to review once petitions are approved. Given the present situation, we are unable to process some of these requests until we all return to the physical location at UTSC. We will contact you through eService when we respond to your petition.

The outcome of COVID-19 is causing my stress/anxiety and I am worried about my ability to perform to my academic standards. What should I do?
There are a number of resources to help you navigate this challenging time. Our office and the Academic Advising & Career Centre are available virtually to support you and discuss your options.

If you are feeling distressed, 24/7 counselling services are available through My Student Support Program – My SSPClick here for additional support options. In an emergency, call 911. 

My instructor had to make changes to our syllabus/grading scheme and I am worried it will put me at a disadvantage. What can I do?
You may contact the academic unit that offers the course if you have any concerns about changes made to assessments or expectations in your course. 

I am applying to a program in which marks in certain courses determine my eligibility. Will selecting the CR/NCR option for a course required for program admission have an impact on my eligibility for the program?
The underlying numeric final mark assigned by your instructor will be used by the relevant academic unit to determine your eligibility for the program. This underlying mark will not appear on your official transcript.

I am working towards a professional designation in Accounting, or I and am planning to apply to Graduate programs. Can I use a CR/NCR course for that?
CPA Ontario, graduate programs and other external institutions will continue to require that you meet their minimum standards in specified courses for current CPA requirements. Since the CR/NCR option will be part of your permanent record, and underlying numerical grades will not appear on your transcript, you should exercise caution when choosing the CR/NCR option if you think there is any chance you will want to pursue a professional designation or graduate school in the future.

Note: should external institutions and stakeholders (e.g., CPA Ontario, graduate programs, recruiters) require numerical or letter grades, these will NOT be available on your official transcript for courses which you have selected the CR/NCR option.

Finances and Financial Aid

Will I still get monthly service charges on my outstanding balance?
The monthly service charge billing on ACORN tuition and non-tuition fees has been suspended until further notice.  The April 15, 2020 monthly service charge fee billing has been cancelled. Updates to this policy will be posted on the website of the Office of Student Accounts

Will dropping my Winter 2020 courses affect my OSAP/provincial student loans?
There will be no academic penalties for students who fully or partially withdrew (i.e., reduced their course load below OSAP’s minimum course load requirements for funding for full-time studies) because they were ill, self-isolating, quarantined, caring for an immediate family member, or withdrew due to mental health issues resulting from COVID-19.

Enrolment Services is assuming all full/partial withdrawals that took place on or after February 19, 2020 are COVID-19 related. Affected OSAP files will not be reassessed, nor will there be any academic penalties. Students are not required to do anything.

OSAP recipients who fully/partially withdrew between January 25, 2020 and February 18, 2020 because of COVID-19, can request a review of their OSAP files. Students should prepare, sign and date a personal statement outlining the COVID-19 related circumstances and the dates the student was impacted resulting in their full/partial withdrawal from studies. These documents should be uploaded by the student to the OSAP website if there’s an existing 2020 Summer OSAP application. If the student absolutely cannot upload documents to the OSAP website, then they should e-mail these documents to Enrolment Services at

How long will it take to process my emergency grant application? When can I expect to receive funding?
Due to the large volume of applications, it is taking 5-10 business days for the UTSC Grant Committee to review an application. Once a decision is made, the recommendation is sent immediately to Enrolment Services. They require at least two days to respond directly to each student. Please do not submit multiple applications.

What will happen to the interest on my OSAP loans?
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, the Government of Ontario announced that they are temporarily deferring payments for students receiving OSAP. This means that you do not need to make any OSAP loan payments between Monday, March 30, 2020 and Wednesday, September 30, 2020. During this time, interest will not accrue on your OSAP loans. 

If you have the means to make your payments, or make any contribution toward your OSAP loan during this temporary interest-free period, the full amount will be deducted from your loan principal. 

I am unable to work due to COVID-19, what can I do?
The Emergency Undergraduate Grant is intended to assist current U of T undergraduate domestic and international students impacted by COVID-19 and who need immediate short-term financial relief because of unexpected expenses. This grant is open to both part-time and full-time students.

Click here for more information and to access the application. 

Will I get a refund for any Fall/Winter courses that I drop at this point since classes have been cancelled?
Classes have moved online at this time. No changes have been made to any of the normal tuition refund policies. 

Will there be service charges applied to unpaid tuition fees?
Monthly service charge fee billing for unpaid 2019 Fall – 2020 Winter and 2020 Summer session fees will be suspended for the months of April to August 2020.

Students will still be required to pay the prior session fees by the Fall-Winter Pay or Defer to Register deadlines in August.  This will allow the student to be eligible to get a tuition deferral (register without payment) or to pay the Minimum Required Payment displayed on the ACORN invoice to complete registration for the Fall-Winter session.

Monthly service charge fee billing will resume on September 15, 2020.


Summer 2020 Session

I don’t see the courses I want to take offered for the summer; will more sections become available?

Decisions about changes to course capacity will be made on a case-by-case basis by the instructor and academic unit that offers the course. Although an online or remote learning environment does not have the same physical restrictions as a classroom, there are many other instructional factors that may constrain the course capacity. The goal of all instructors and academic units will be to ensure that students in the course experience a learning environment that will support their success in achieving the course learning objectives.

How will the University ensure students won’t cheat with summer assignments and tests being offered online/at home?

The Dean has confirmed that the Summer F and Y courses will be delivered online/remotely. The delivery of Summer F and Y course assessments (assignments, tests) is still under review. Students who enrol or are enrolled in a course will be notified when this information becomes available. Your instructors will provide more information about guidelines around academic integrity and course expectations.

What if I require financial assistance to enrol in a course?

Students may apply for OSAP for financial assistance. For immediate short-term financial relief due to unexpected expenses related to the COVID-19 pandemic, students may apply online for an emergency assistance grant.

For additional info please contact our Financial Aid team:

How do I enrol in a course I need to retake?

Students who wish to retake a course they have already received credit for (or are excluded from taking due to transfer credits), students must add the course through our office. It will be flagged as an ‘extra’ course which you will not receive credit for.

While the grade will appear in your transcript, this will not impact your GPA. Once your enrolment start time has begun, please email your enrolment request to us at: from your UofT email address and provide your name, student number, the full nine-character course code from the Timetable and the lecture section so we can try to enrol you remotely.

I am receiving a message stating “no meeting sections available” for a course I’m trying to add. What does this mean?

Some departments are still determining which courses can be offered throughout the summer. Updates will be posted beside the lecture code as they become available. If the course is not listed in the Timetable, it is not being offered in the summer. Please check the Timetable regularly for any changes.

Why am I getting a message from ACORN stating I must be enrolled in 1 Specialist, or 2 Majors, or a Major and 2 Minors to add courses?

Year 2 and higher students must be enrolled in an appropriate combination of ACTIVE programs, otherwise their access to all course enrolment is blocked. Please add an appropriate combination of programs from the UNLIMITED category so that your general access to enrolment is returned. You can later remove them if you apply to, get invited to, and want to accept an offer from your desired limited program(s).

Please note that departments may put enrolment controls on their courses so if you want to add courses outside of your active program area(s), you may not immediately have access to do so. Please check the Timetable to find out whether the course(s) you want to add will be open to you. 

I’m getting an ‘enrolment blocked’ message when I try to add a course

Some courses have priority enrolment for students based on programs/year of study/campus. Please read the enrolment controls linked under the course code on the Timetable for details, as well as any announcements linked beside the lecture section.

I have been impacted by COVID-19 and cannot afford to pay for the Late Registrational Penalty?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting financial difficulties many of our students have encountered, we will not be charging the Late Registration Penalty to students who were financially cancelled due to non-payment and removed from courses for the Summer 2020 session (this fee will still be charged to late re-enrolling students).

Our Campus Partners

Info from the University