Deferring Your Fees
A fee deferral will register you without making a tuition payment. This is a special arrangement between you and the University if you cannot make the minimum tuition payment by the registration deadline for the upcoming session. Students who qualify for a fee deferral do so with the understanding that this arrangement temporarily delays their need to make their tuition payment until their student aid funding arrives.
Request a fee deferral
- Login to ACORN
- Select "Tuition Fee Deferral" under the Finances menu, and accept the terms and conditions.
- If your request was approved, your registration status will say "Registered" for the upcoming semester.
You will know immediately if your fee deferral request was successful or not. If your first attempt is unsuccessful, try again within 1-2 business days. If you continue to experience problems, contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Once you receive your funding when classes begin, make your tuition payments accordingly.
April 20 - May 1, 2020
|Fall 2020||July 22 - August 17|
No Outstanding Balance
Students must clear all outstanding fees in order to qualify for a fee deferral (e.g. unpaid fees for a previous semester than the term you are attempting to defer).
- It can take up to 7 days from the date that you submitted your OSAP application and supporting documents for you to be eligible to request a fee deferral on ACORN, so plan accordingly!
U of T Scholarship Recipients
- Complete the Tuition Fee Deferral Request form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.
- When it has been processed, your registration status will say "Registered" for the upcoming semester.
Third Party Scholarships Requiring an Invoice
If your fees will be paid by an organization that requires an invoice from the university, you will be granted a fee deferral until payment is received from the third party. To confirm your registration status, you must request an official invoice from the University of Toronto at the Registrar’s Office in person, and submit a copy of the letter from the organization indicating that they will pay your fees, and the respective awarded amount.
Out-of-Province or United States Student Loan Recipients
We understand that students who will be receiving student loans for the upcoming session may not have access to their funds by the registration deadline. If you cannot make the minimum tuition payment on your own, please email a copy of your Notice of Assessment to: can.oop.financialaid.utoronto.ca
Please include your name, and student number on each page of your documents. It takes up to three business days to upload the information into ACORN. You can try your fee deferral on ACORN after this (see deadline above).