Deferring Your Fees
We understand that students who will be receiving a student loan or a scholarship for the upcoming session may not have access to their funds by the registration deadline. If you can’t make the minimum tuition payment by the registration deadline, you may be eligible for a fee deferral.
A fee deferral will register you without making a tuition payment. This is a special arrangement between you and the University if you cannot make the minimum tuition payment by the registration deadline for the upcoming session. Students who qualify for a fee deferral do so with the understanding that this arrangement temporarily delays their tuition payment until their student aid funding arrives.
No Outstanding Balance
Students must clear all outstanding fees from a previous session in order to qualify for a fee deferral (e.g. unpaid fees for a previous semester other than the term you are attempting to defer).
Must Be Enrolled in Courses
You must be enrolled in courses and have a fee assessment (i.e. an invoice with fees listed) on ACORN in order to qualify for a fee deferral. Students with only waitlisted or interim (INT) courses cannot be registered through the fee deferral process.
U of T Scholarship Recipients
- Click here to complete the tuition fee deferral application form and email the completed form to our office: email@example.com
- Allow 3 business days for processing. When it has been processed, your registration status will say "Registered" for the upcoming semester.
OSAP Recipients (Full Time & Part Time)
- Submit your OSAP application.
You applied early – by the recommended deadline. For Fall or Fall/Winter funding the recommended deadline is usually June 30 and for Summer funding it is usually April 1.
o Request the fee deferral on the first day of fee deferral request period (see below) or anytime during this period.
You applied late – after the recommended deadline but before the start of the fee deferral period.
o Wait 7 days from the date you submit your application.
Out-of-Province Student Loan Recipients
Apply as early as you can for student loan funding from your province. You are eligible for a tuition fee deferral (register without payment) if you:
- Have paid for prior session fees and
- Have a Notice of Assessment for an amount greater than $0 for the current session
If you cannot make the minimum tuition payment on your own:
- Submit a copy of your Notice of Assessment (or proof of funding amount) on the Out of Province Request Portal
- Allow 3 business days for Enrolment Services to update your fee deferral eligibility on ACORN.
- You can try your fee deferral request on ACORN after waiting the 3 days.
If you encounter a problem with the online deferral function on ACORN, you can contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Subject Line: Fee Deferral Request - Your first and last name - U of T student number
United States Student Loan Recipients
Enrolment Services administers the following U.S. Loan and Benefits programs:
- William D. Ford Direct Loan program
- Alternative/Private loan program such as Sallie Mae
- Veteran Affairs Benefits program
You are eligible for a tuition fee deferral (register without payment) if you:
- Have paid for prior session fees and
- Have a confirmed U.S. Loan or Benefits assessment for an amount greater than $0 for the current session
Follow the steps to apply for assistance found on the Enrolment Services website. After having completed Step Three (U of T U.S. Direct Loans Portal) of the application process and you cannot make the payment on your own, you will be able to request a fee deferral on ACORN.
If you encounter a problem with the online deferral function on ACORN, you can contact Enrolment Services at email@example.com. In the Subject Line: Fee Deferral Request - Your first and last name - U of T student number
Third Party Scholarships Requiring an Invoice
If your fees will be paid by an organization that requires an invoice from the university, you will be granted a fee deferral until payment is received from the third party. Please refer to the Office of Student Accounts website for complete information on how to request a tuition fee deferral.
Request a fee deferral
- Login to ACORN
- Select "Tuition Fee Deferral" under the Finances menu, and accept the terms and conditions.
- If your request was approved, your registration status will say "Registered" for the upcoming semester (check the Dashboard).
You will know immediately if your fee deferral request was successful or not. If your first attempt is unsuccessful, try again within 1-2 business days. If you continue to experience problems, contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Once you receive your funding when classes begin, make your tuition payments accordingly.
April 13 - April 21
|Fall 2021 only||TBA|
|Fall 2021 & Winter 2022||TBA|