Summer Funding

If You Received OSAP in the Fall and/or Winter Session

  • You can extend your funding for the Summer by submitting the OSAP Extension Application form online. This application is usually available in mid-March. Do not apply for Summer funding on the OSAP website.
  • You are eligible to extend your funding if you are participating in a Summer Abroad program and take one credit.

If You Did Not Receive OSAP in the Fall and/or Winter Session

  • Submit a new application on the OSAP website. In the program search field, type "Summer." If applicable, submit your signature pages and/or required documents to our office.


  • You must register in full-time studies.
  • Your study period must be at least 12 weeks in length (example: May to August).
  • Non-degree students, and June graduates are not eligible for Summer OSAP assistance.

Check Your Status 

Once you have submitted your application, check your status at the OSAP website for assessment details starting in mid April. You will receive notifications from OSAP and the U of T Financial Aid Office will send messages regarding your status to your OSAP Message Centre. Make sure you check for messages every time you login to your OSAP account.

Going on Exchange?

Students going on a CIE Exchange for the summer must meet the same course load requirements as students studying on campus at UTSC. If you are studying for the whole summer you must be receiving at least 1.5 credits (1.0 for students with permanent disabilities). If you are studying for half the summer, you typically need to receive at least 1.0 credits (0.5 for students with permanent disabilities). When you submit your Summer OSAP application, you also will need to provide an Exchange Cover Sheet and proof of your study dates.

Not sure if your program qualifies? Contact us for help.


For best results, submit your Summer OSAP Extension or OSAP online application on or before (recommended deadline). Follow the directions on ACORN to request a fee deferral after your summer invoice appears in mid-April. Applications submitted after these deadlines will not be processed.

May - June (F section) extension May 18, 2020
July - August (S section) extension July 21, 2020
May - August or July - August extension July 21, 2020
May - August application on the OSAP website July 1, 2020
Other applications 40 days before the end of your summer study period


Minimum Course Load Requirement for Full-Time Studies

General Requirement
Study period Must enrol and pass a minimum of:
May to August 1.5 credits
May to June only* 1.0 credit
June to August only* 1.0 credit
Requirements for Students with Disabilities
Study period Must enrol and pass a minimum of:
May to August 1.0 credit
May to June only* 0.5 credit
June to August only* 0.5 credit

*Students studying in this study period must have received OSAP funding in the previous Fall or Winter session to be considered.

Students in lower course loads should apply for Part-Time OSAP for the summer term. The part-time application can be accessed from the OSAP website.

Receiving Your Funding 

A few days before the start of your classes, OSAP will ask U of T to confirm your enrolment (your full-time status). You must be registered in the required course load, and you must have a status of "Registered" in the summer session on ACORN. Registration means that you've either made the minimum payment, or have received a fee deferral. Waitlist or interim courses are not counted towards your course load.

Students who applied by April 3 should receive their funding within the first two weeks of classes. When we confirm your full time status, the University takes a "snapshot" of your fees invoice and based on the amount owing will instruct OSAP how much to send to us on your behalf. 

If the amount of OSAP funding exceeds the amount owing to U of T, the difference will be deposited into your bank account. If the OSAP funding is less than the fees owing, you are expected to pay the difference.

It is extremely important for you that check the information on your OSAP account matches your U of T fees account. For example, check the course load on OSAP and then compare it to the course load on ACORN. It should be the same. 


Also check your OSAP payments on your invoice and compare the amount to the amount details in OSAP. Remember your invoice is dynamic and the "snapshot" may have been done before you got into a wait listed class. If this is the case, you will have to pay the difference to U of T from the funding that was sent to your bank account.

Need to make changes to your application information?

After your application is submitted, changes to your summer plans or circumstances must be provided to the UTSC Registrar's Office in writing.

For changes to your income, please provide a signed letter indicating the new total income for the summer study period, and indicate the source of the income (e.g. employment, scholarship). 

  • Your new intended study period
  • How many classes you plan on taking 
  • Your expected income for the new summer study period 

Or you can complete the Request to Change Study Period form.

Where to submit changes

Upload all documents to your account on the OSAP website (Print/Upload section).

Problems with the upload? You can email the PDF document to: