Government Grants

two women talking

Indigenous Student Bursary

This bursary is available to full and part-time students attending UTSC.  More details about the eligibility criteria and how to apply for this grant can be found on the OSAP website.

Information on how to apply at U of T can be found here.

Ontario Indigenous Travel Grant

This grant assists you with the cost of travelling between your remote First Nations community and UTSC. It can also assist you with the travel costs of your spouse or dependent children if they will be living with you while you study. More details about the eligibility criteria and how to apply for this grant can be found on the OSAP website.

Other Indigenous Bursaries

Check out this searchable list of bursaries, scholarships and other aid for indigenous students.

Living and Learning Grant (LLG)

Individuals who were in Extended Society Care and other youth (21 – 24 years old) who left the care of Ontario's children's aid societies and are pursing postsecondary education may be eligible for the LLG. This grant provides additional funds above the regular full time OSAP aid limits. You are automatically considered for this grant when you submit your OSAP application for Full-Time Students. You may have to provide supporting documents to confirm your eligibility.

Find more information on the OSAP Website.

Ontario First Generation Bursary (OFG)

For Ontario residents whose parents didn’t attend college or university, if you demonstrate financial need, you could eligible for this bursary. More details about the eligibility criteria can be found on the OSAP website.

To apply for this bursary at UTSC, complete the U of T Grant Application. This application has a section specifically for first-generation students. When we review your application, you will be assessed for both the OFG and the UTSC Grant. You may receive one or the other, or both. 

Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)

If you are registered with AccessAbility Services and your OSAP profile indicates that you have a disability (permanent or non-permanent), you may be eligible for additional funding through the BSWD. You must have applied for and qualified for OSAP funding. 

Please inquire about this bursary with your disability consultant at the AccessAbility Services Office.

Read more information on the OSAP website.

Read more information on the University Registrar's Office website.


Canada Learning Bond

The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) is money that the Government adds to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for children from low-income families. This money helps to pay the costs of a child’s full- or part-time studies after high school at: apprenticeship programs, CEGEPs, trade schools, colleges and universities

No personal contributions to an RESP are required to receive the CLB. The Government of Canada contributes up to $2,000 to an RESP for an eligible child born on or after Jan 1, 2004. The child and subscriber must be residents of Canada and must have valid SINs. The RESP must be opened up with a participating RESP promoter.

Eligibility for the CLB is based on the:

For more information, please visit the Government of Canada website.