Drop a course with no academic penalty
If you no longer wish to be enrolled in a course, you may drop it on ACORN by the appropriate deadline to have it removed from your transcript. Refer to the refund schedule to determine whether you are eligible for a refund.
- Login to ACORN
- Under the Academics menu, select "Courses"
- Click the gear icon on the top right hand corner of the course you want to drop
- Select "Drop Course" from the drop-down menu that appears, and confirm your selection
- Once you have successfully dropped the course, you will receive a notification pop-up message on the top right hand corner of the screen, and the course will no longer be listed under your list of currently enrolled courses.
Late withdrawal requests
If you miss the deadline to drop a course without academic penalty and have it removed from your transcript (above), your last opportunity to withdraw from the course at your own discretion is by requesting a late withdrawal. The course will remain on your transcript, but will have no impact on your GPA. In lieu of a numerical grade, the notation "LWD" will appear in its place. This is a request to late withdraw. Your approval is final, and requests to have the course added back will not be accommodated, and no refund will be issued.
Requesting a late withdrawal:
- Login to eService using your UTORid and password
- Using the menu, find "COURSES" and select "Late Withdrawal"
- Click "Submit New" from the menu on the left hand side.
- Follow the prompts and instructions on the screen.
You may not use this request if you:
- Have already declared late withdrawal for 3.0 credits as a U of T student.
- Have attempted or completed the final exam in the course. You run the risk of having your request cancelled and revoked if it is determined that you attempted or completed the final exam.
Each student may use this option for up to a maximum of 3.0 credits. You may use this option for only current courses taken at U of T. Deadline dates can vary for courses held at UTSC, UTM, or the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) at St. George as seen below.
|Summer 2019 F Section||June 11 - June 17, 2019||June 11 - June 17, 2019||June 11- June 17, 2019|
|Summer 2019 Y Section||July 23 - August 6, 2019||July 23 - August 13, 2019||July 23 - August 13, 2019|
|Summer 2019 S Section||July 30 - August 6, 2019||July 30 - August 13, 2019||July 30 - August 13, 2019|
|Fall 2019 F Section||November 19 - December 2, 2019||November 19 - Deember 5, 2019||November 19 - December 4, 2019|
|Fall 2019 - Winter 2019 Y Section||February 18 - April 3, 2020||Februry 18 - April 3, 2020||February 18 - April 3, 2020|
|Winter 2020 S Section||March 23 - April 3, 2020||March 23 - April 3, 2020||March 23 - April 3, 2020|
The quickest and easiest way to receive a refund from U of T is by opting in to the direct deposit option. The UTSC refund schedule informs you of whether you're eligible to receive a refund if you drop a course by the appropriate date.
If you change your course load, drop to part time, or are on OSAP probation, here are some steps to keep your loan in good standing.