Visas and Permits

Student speaking with Teaching and Learning staff

Visas and Permits

As an international student, you will need to have specific permits and visas to study in Canada. You should also check to see if your home country will require any further documentation.


Initial Study Permit

All U of T Scarborough students need to have legal status in Canada, and you will need to present your status documents to get your student card.
If this is your first time applying for a study permit, you can do it at the nearest Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission. Learn more about the application process on the Canadian government's international student page. You should apply for your permit as soon as you receive your Offer of Admission from the University of Toronto and decide to accept. DO NOT wait to clear your conditions as all offers are conditional and applying for visas upon clearing conditions will be too late. Because the permit legally entitles you to study in Canada, you will need it before you enter the country.

Temporary Resident Visa

Students from certain countries may also require an entry visa, also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), to enter Canada. TRVs are issued by Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC).
CIC’s requirements may differ depending on your specific geographic region. For instance, some CIC offices require proof of English language proficiency in the form of a standardized test (such as TOEFL or IELTS). A medical examination and proof of funding may also be required. 
The University of Toronto has no jurisdiction over the CIC requirements, which are separate from your admission requirements. For example, you may be exempt from English language proficiency for admission, but still required for your entry to Canada
Once admitted to the university, please make an appointment with our Immigration Advisors in the International Student Centre to learn about the instructions on how to apply for your Visa/Study Permit.


Extending Your Study Permit

Make sure your Study Permit does not expire. You can learn more about the application process for extending your study permit on the Government of Canada's page. If you have any questions please visit the International Student Centre or you can contact an advisor by emailing


Important Note:

Processing applications for Study Permits and Visas may take several weeks (processing times vary depending on the country). If you receive and Offer of Admission and decide you want to come here, you should not delay in accepting your offer and applying for your Study Permit/ Visa to avoid any problems resulting from lengthy processing times.