Specific mathematics courses are required for all of the Management programs, and almost all of the sciences. Having the appropriate mathematical knowledge is vital for you to be properly prepared for university study.
Calculus & Advanced Functions
When a program prerequisite course in Calculus/Advanced Functions is specified, you will need to have completed a course that includes the following content:
- Includes concepts of advanced functions.
- Introduces basic concepts of Calculus.
- Investigation, development of facility and application of the properties of polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions
- Understanding of the mathematics associated with rates of change
- Problem solving in a range of applications.
View the Ministry of Education curriculum details for the full Ontario Math Curriculum Revision.
U of T offers a summer non-credit preparation program for university-level mathematics called PUMP – Preparing University Math Program.
We recommend you consider this course if your high school mathematics preparation is strong but does not include Calculus, or if your school did not offer Calculus or Advanced Functions math in its curriculum. This program does not necessarily preclude the need for math prerequisite courses.
If you are applying to a program that requires university-level Calculus, we recommend that you enrol in the equivalent course at your university or college (if offered).
In some cases, it may be possible to receive admission consideration if Calculus is completed, at least at the high school level. Please contact us for details.