Mature Student

students in linguistics class


We understand that life can sometimes affect your academic plans. If you don’t meet U of T Scarborough's admission requirements, we may consider your application if you:

  1. Are at least 21 years old by July 15 of the Summer session or by October 1 of the Fall/Winter session, 
  2. Have been a resident in Ontario for a minimum of 12 months as of the above dates, 
  3. Are a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or protected Person (Convention Refugee), and
  4. Achieve high standing in either:
    • Two Grade 12 U/M courses completed after you turned 21 (One course must be ENG4U), or
    • The U of T Woodsworth College's Academic Bridging Program (age requirement may vary depending on academic history).

​​If you are applying to the University as a senior citizen, please click here to visit the Non-degree Students webpage.

How to qualify as a mature student

To qualify through the Woodsworth College Academic Bridging Program:

  1. Must be at least 19 years of age by October 1 of the year you plan on starting
  2. Be either a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (Convention Refugees should contact the Academic Bridging Program before beginning the application process)
  3. Have been away from formal, full-time education for some time and;
    • Have NOT attempted degree level academic work (or equivalent) at a post-secondary institution such as a university or polytechnic institute 
    • Have NOT completed more than two years of full-time studies in a College of Applied Arts and Technology (or equivalent)
    • Potential applicants who do not meet requirements above should contact the Academic Bridging Program by email to discuss their circumstances:
  4. For full details, visit the Academic Bridging Program website or call +1 (416) 978-4444

To qualify through the completion of two Grade 12 courses (taken after the age of 21):

  1. Contact the U of T Scarborough Admissions & Student Recruitment office to discuss your wish to qualify and/or discuss program pre-requisite requirements.

  2. Then contact your Board of Education to enrol in the Grade 12 U/M courses.

To qualify through the Transitional Year Program:

TYP is designed for those who could not finish high school because of financial problems, family difficulties or other circumstances beyond their control. It is a one-year, full-time program leading to admission into an Arts & Science degree program. Detailed information is available on the Transitional Year Program website.

Requirements & Restrictions

To prepare for certain university programs such as science programs, you may have to do additional studies to ensure you meet all of the program prerequisites.

What if I went to school elsewhere before I applied to U of T Scarborough?

To be admitted as a mature student to U of T Scarborough, you can not have:

  • Attempted any degree level academic work (or equivalent) at post-secondary institutions such as a university or polytechnic institute. If you've enrolled in courses but have withdrawn before a grade has been issued, this is acceptable.
  • Completed more than one year of full-time studies in an Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology (or equivalent)