Alumni & Friends - Ways to get involved and give back

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Frequently Asked Questions

APPLYING: Are there any application criteria?

Students are able to stay in Residence if they are full time, registered students at the University of Toronto Scarborough.

Please see our "Apply" section for specific application steps and criteria for first year and upper year students.

APPLYING: Are there any guarantees that I'll get a space?

Residence is guaranteed for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the StarRez Portal application by March 31, and receive and accept an offer of admission by June 1.

If you missed the March 31 deadline, you can still apply to be on the wait list.

Students must respond to all deadlines and meet all deposit requirements in order to maintain their eligibility.


APPLYING: If I have an accessibility concern related to living in residence, where can I find more information?

The AccessAbility Services Office is able to assist if you have specific questions or concerns: You may also complete the Accessibility Needs in Residence form on our website:

APPLYING: Is there summer residence?

Yes, we run a summer residence program for all university/college students, from any higher education institution in the world, who are working or studying in the Greater Toronto Area.

APPLYING: Can I live with my friends?

On your application in the StarRez Portal, you can fill out the section which asks for your "preferred housemate". Your preferred housemate must also request you as a preferred housemate in order for your request to be processed.  Housemate groups of either 2 or 4 people will be considered.

APPLYING: What should I bring?

You will need to bring personal use items as noted on our "What to Bring" page:


APPLYING: How are housemates chosen?

Housemates are matched according to the information you gave us on your application form. We take these questions into careful consideration when going through the housemate matching process.

APPLYING: Will you still be honouring the first-year residence guarantee?

We anticipate that we’ll be able to provide accommodation for all first-year students who need residence and we’re committed to ensuring that all students who receive and accept our offer are housed.


APPLYING: Are the residences mixed gender?

Students can indicate in their application if they prefer to live in Same Gender - Women, Same Gender - Men, or Mixed Gender Housing. Mixed Gender means that students of any gender will share a kitchen and washroom facilities housed in the same unit.  However, they will have separate single occupant bedrooms.


APPLYING: Are shared bedrooms available?

In Fall 2021, we are offering single bedrooms and will also be offering shared bedrooms to students who indicate this room type as one of their top preferences.

APPLYING: Can I get a guaranteed space for winter only?

Students with the First Year Residence Guarantee are offered a space for both the Fall and Winter sessions. It is not possible to confirm your space for the Winter session only. If you are not planning to move into residence in September, you should decline your Residence Guarantee offer by July 15 in order to receive a full refund of your deposits. You may then request to be added to the Winter session wait list. Cancelling your Residence Guarantee offer is final and there is no guarantee of receiving another space from the wait list.

Additionally, students are not able to pay for their full Fall and Winter contract fees but move in for the Winter session only.

CANCELLATION: How do I get my funds returned when I cancel my space within the deposit refund dates?

Refunds are released by Student Accounts to your ACORN account and will be applied to any balance according to the Student Accounts schedule.The refund can take several weeks.

If you have any questions about the release of funds, how the deposit appears on your account or to speak to a Student Account advisor, contact Student Accounts department:


Student Accounts Office 

General Inquiry Email for Students:

Enrolment Services, University of Toronto

172 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5R 0A3

Telephone: 416-978-2190

Telephone inquiries are answered on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Need help? Please visit:


Students must notify Student Housing and Residence Life if they are not attending courses to request the deposit refund to the original credit card where the deposit was made.


FOOD: Is there a meal plan? How do you purchase a meal plan?

Since our residences are equipped with complete kitchenettes (a refrigerator, microwave, oven and stove), the meal plan is optional. Meal plans are available through Food Partnerships.

Meal Plans can be purchased online by visiting Online payment can be made through any major Credit Card. To purchase a Meal Plan through Debit or Cash or if you have any questions, you can send an email to, call 416-208-2233 or visit the UTSC Meal Plan/TCard+ office at BV498A (4th Floor of Bladen Wing) during regular office hours.

FOOD: How will meals be provided in residences with meal plans?

All campus dining outlets have put measures in place to ensure food safety for students. Please refer to the meal plan website for more information:

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: What is a Residence Advisor (RA)?

Residence Advisors (RAs) are students who live in the residence community and are responsible to assigned apartment and townhouse areas. They are your front line support. They take an active interest in the quality and enrichment of residence life and are willing to talk with you about the adjustments to be made in leaving home, living in residence, and making academic choices. They are responsible for providing information and referrals to educational and social programs, crisis and emergency support, general help with house and community matters, enforcing residence policy, supporting the academic mission and larger mission and goals of the University of Toronto Scarborough. These students provide an essential balance between friendship and guidance and leadership in the community around issues of community standards and behaviour.

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: How many people will be living in my house?

There will be 4 to 6 people per unit. In units where there are shared bedrooms, there will be 5 to 6 people in the unit. 

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: How do I get my mail?

See the "Living In Residence Overview" under "Receiving Mail" to find your address.

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Am I allowed pets?

With the exception of registered service animals, pets are not permitted in residence. Should you need assistance regarding information about service animals, contact our office

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Can I bring my own furniture?

All units are fully furnished, however, students can bring their own small furniture (e.g. no bigger than a desk chair). You may bring items that will help you feel comfortable with your new living space such as a  lamp, small side table and small bookshelf.
Mini fridges are not permitted.  Students requesting to bring a mini fridge for medical needs, should contact our office:
NOTE: All original furniture (in the bedrooms and common area) must be returned by the end of the year check-out.

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: How do I do my laundry?

There are three laundry rooms available in the residence townhouse complex, and four in the apartment complex (1 per floor). They are locked at all times but you will be given 24 hours access. A washing cycle is $2.25 per load and a drying cycle is $1.50 per load. Payment can only be made using your TCard, and funds can be loaded in the TCard+ website:

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Is there somewhere I can store my belongings over the summer?

Store Your Dorm can help you store your belongings from one semester to the next at an offsite location. They deliver boxes and tape to your room. They pick-up your goods from your room, store them over the session and then deliver them back when requested.

FindStorageFast is a website that can help you find storage locations within the city. Options in Scarborough inclued, Access, Storage Mart, Spaces, XYZ and more. Some companies offer full service pick up and delivery or traditional self storage. 

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Can I have overnight guests?

Residents will not be permitted to have off-campus guests attend the residence. Student residents may visit student residents from other UTSC residence buildings, in line with public health directives on capacity limits. In order to keep our residence community safe, off-campus friends and family members, or study partners will not be permitted to attend the residence.


LIFE IN RESIDENCE: How do I get downtown?

There are several routes to downtown. There are buses that leave from Scarborough Campus that will take you to the TTC subway stations. From Kennedy station you take the subway until you reach St. George station.

At UTSC, there are provincial, regional and public transit companies to help you reach UTSC and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), accessible from our campus. 

LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Can I stay over the winter holiday?

The University including Student Housing & Residence Life will be closed during the December Closure (December 22, 2021 to January 8, 2022). As stated in your Residence Agreement; the Resident is expected to vacate the room during the closure but may leave their belongings in their assigned units/bedrooms. The Resident is expected to secure alternate accommodation during this period. For those who absolutely require residence during this time period, Student Housing & Residence Life will allow students with particular circumstances (e.g. international students, out-of-province students), to register to stay in residence during the closure on the StarRez Portal. There is a $500.00 fee for service during this period. Registration to stay for the closure can be discussed with the SHRL office in October/November.

To complete the Winter Break Closure form:

  • Login to the StarRez Portal
  • Select "Manage my Housing"
  • Select your Fall 2021 booking
  • Select "Winter Break Closure form"
  • Complete the form according to the instructions provided


LIFE IN RESIDENCE: Who does the cleaning?

Students are responsible for the general upkeep and cleanliness of the houses including cleaning and garbage disposal. It is recommended that a cleaning schedule be established (and agreed upon by all of your housemates) at the beginning of the year so that future disagreements may be avoided. Houses are inspected by the Facilities office periodically to ensure that they are kept in good condition.
Note: Mops, vacuums, and brooms will be provided.
Every month a cleaning service enters units to clean all common areas (bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms). Student must prepare in advance for this.  A scheduled notice will be emailed prior to the cleaning. 

RESIDENCE FACILITIES: Can I hang posters or pictures?

You are more than welcome to personalize your bedroom with posters and pictures. Nails or screws in the wall are not permitted, neither is tape. 3M products are recommended as these products do not cause damage to the walls.
Posters may also be placed in the common area (upon agreement within the household).
During particular holidays (e.g. Christmas), you may decorate your house accordingly and are actually encouraged to enter a contest and decorate the outside of your house!

RESIDENCE FACILITIES: Are the houses wheelchair accessible?

There are 5 wheelchair accessible houses on the University of Toronto Scarborough campus. Contact us so we can create an accomodation plan.