Services and Resources

UTSC Campus Community Police Services

  • Emergencies 416.287.7333
  • General Inquiries 416.287.7398
  • Community Safety Office 416.978.1485

Food Services

Landlord and Tenant Board

The Landlord and Tenant Board provides information about, and answers questions regarding the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). The RTA is the provincial legislation that governs the relationship of residential landlords and tenants in Ontario. Your rental accommodation may be an apartment, a house, or a room in a rooming, lodging or boarding house. These units are covered under the RTA.
However, if you share a bathroom and/or kitchen with the owner or the owner’s immediate family, your living accommodations will not be covered under the RTA. If you are planning to look for this type of accommodation, consider developing some "House Rules" that can cover many of the points discussed in this guide. Ideally, these should be negotiated and signed as part of your original discussions with the owner.
The Landlord and Tenant Board is a quasi-judicial agency, set up under the RTA to provide information about the Act, and to resolve tenancy disputes either through mediation or adjudication. The Landlord and Tenant Board also provides landlords and tenants with information about the rights and obligations each has under the RTA.
Toronto - Toronto South Regional Office 
79 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 212 
Toronto, Ontario M4T 1M6
Toronto - Toronto North Regional Office
47 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M2N 5X5
Toronto East - Durham Regional Office
2275 Midland Avenue, Unit 2
Toronto, Ontario M1P 3E7
They can be reached at 1.888.332.3234 or at

Tenant Legal Advice

DLS is a student-run community legal clinic providing free service to University of Toronto full-time and part-time undergraduate students. This service is also available to anyone who meets Legal Aid Ontario's financial and geographic eligibility criteria. Clients are seen by appointment only and no advice is given over the phone. They do not see people on a drop-in basis.
This service will give advice over the phone. If the line is busy, keep calling or try at another time. If you are unsure of the terms of your rental agreement, it would be wise to call them before you finalize it.
The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) works to better the housing situation of Ontario residents. It does not provide individual service to tenants. It also runs the Tenant Duty Counsel Program (TDCP), which provides information and limited legal assistance to eligible tenants appearing at the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal.
Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Services [KBCLS] is a non-profit community based legal clinic serving low income members of our community who qualify for their services and meet their case selection criteria.

Toronto City Services