Be an AccessAbility Outreach Team Volunteer
Title/Position: AccessAbility Outreach Team Volunteer
Goal of Position:
The Outreach Team plays integral role in supporting AccessAbility Services. Volunteers reach out to the University of Toronto Scarborough community and build awareness about AccessAbility Services and the Peer Note Taking program. Successful recruitment efforts by volunteers ensure that students with disabilities receive this accommodation in a timely manner.
Under the direction of the Coordinator, Volunteer Resources, Outreach Team members will assist in one or more of the following areas:
- Volunteers will lead AccessAbility Services display booths by providing general information to the university community regarding the service and the Note Taking program. Volunteers will take initiative to approach students, inform them of the need for volunteer Note Takers and recruit students to become potential volunteer Note Takers.
- Volunteers will assist AccessAbility Services in making announcements in the classes that require Note Takers. Announcements are usually made in the first few minutes of the class time, before the lecture begins
Personal Support Assistant:
- Volunteers will work one-on-one assisting students with disabilities in their activities on campus. These can include, assisting students in lectures, and assistance students with mobility on campus.
- Volunteers will also have the opportunity to assist with outreach events and with general office support. Office support includes (and is not limited to): photocopying and filing Note Taker’s notes, assembling professor packages and Note Taker manuals.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Interest in disability issues
- Active contribution to the UTSC peer community
- Opportunity to lead student campaigns, increase awareness on disability related issues and gain valuable leadership experience
- Build your resume
- Receive a Certificate of Recognition
Number of Vacancies: 25
Volunteer posting is now closed. Accepting applications for Outreach Team Recruitment in March 2019.