AccessAbility Services is committed to inclusive excellence. Our mission is to provide services and programs that empower students with disabilities to maximize their academic potential, ensure that all students with disabilities receive equitable access to all facets of University life, and increase awareness of inclusive values among all University community members. We value diverse abilities as a source of strength and are committed to promoting a culture of excellence and inclusion. The service values the student voice and lived experience.
The AccessAbility Advisory Committee gives an opportunity for students with disabilities to provide guidance designing and enhancing the services, supports, and programs delivered by AccessAbility Services at UTSC.
- 8-10 students who are currently UTSC students who are also registered with AccessAbility Services, presently enrolled in a degree program (undergraduate and graduate full-time or part-time) and are available to attend up to 4 meetings a year
- Director and Associate Director AccessAbility Services will act as facilitators.
- Members will serve one-year terms
Benefits of Membership
- Build teamwork, communication and self-advocacy skills in a supportive environment
- Gain exposure to processes for service delivery, program planning and development
- Expand your network
- Enhance your resume
- Make a positive impact
Advisory committee members will receive:
$100 honorarium to recognize your volunteer contributions to the advisory meeting
You will receive co-curricular validation for your participation
Role of Members:
- Provide advice on:
- Existing and proposed departmental initiatives as they relate to AccessAbility Services programs, supports, and services
- Matters related to departmental operations, including policies and practices
- Current trends and opportunities as they relate to programming, support, service orientation, and delivery
- Attend meetings as scheduled to receive, consider and respond to input.
- Commit to active and respectful dialogue
- Maintain the confidentiality of members and discussions
- Up to 4 meetings a year
- Up to 1.5 hours each
- Time and dates TBD as this will be dependent on membership
- All sessions will be hybrid - in-person and virtual
Committee members will be given an orientation to AccessAbility Services and their Advisory Committee responsibilities. AccessAbility Services will clearly define all duties and the terms of reference.
The service strives to make the meetings fully accessible. Members can request accommodations directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Application & selection process:
The student will complete the application form briefly outlining why they are interested in becoming a member of the Advisory Committee and what they hope to contribute as a committee member. In considering membership to the advisory committee, the service will reflect a range of lived experiences in a range of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Please send expression of interest to the attention of Tina Doyle at email@example.com by a specified date with the subject line: AccessAbility Advisory Committee.
2023-2024 applications now being accepted until November 1, 2023