U of T Scarborough is the only U of T campus that offers formal co-op programs in Management as well as Arts and Science. Leaders in co-op education for more than 40 years, our Management Co-op programs give students on-the-job learning within full-time, salaried work terms in industries, organizations, and businesses relevant to their field of study.
Co-operative education is a unique program based on a three-way partnership between the University of Toronto, the student, and the employer. Practical work terms alternate with study terms. Work terms are paid and begin in January, May, or September for 4 or 8 month terms.
With Management Co-op, you become part of a learning community that encourages you to:
- Explore the many functional areas of business to help determine the career that best fits your skills and interests.
- Determine which industry is of greatest interest to you.
- Gain valuable work experience before graduating.
- Learn how to secure the work you want when you want it.
- Learn what it takes to be promoted and succeed in the workplace.
- Leverage the internationally recognized U of T name and network when job searching.
- Become part of an extensive business alumni network.
- Earn a higher salary upon graduation (a 2012 HECQO study demonstrated that co-op students make an 11% higher salary than non co-op graduates).
- Fund your university education (Management Co-op students typically earn $30,000-$36,000 from their three work terms). Learn more about co-op compensation rates.
We work with a wide range of reputable employers annually, including:
High Academic Standards
Students are specially selected to the Co-op Program in Management through stringent admission criteria. The Co-op Program in Management accepts approximately 300 students per year.
The majority of these students are admitted directly from secondary school with a Grade 12 average in the mid 80s and above. These students are also expected to have an exceptional co-op application profile and strong mathematical skills. For more information, please visit the Admissions website.
Our Established Programs
The University of Toronto's co-operative education programs are offered primarily at Scarborough, since 1975. We are one of the only co-op programs at the University of Toronto to receive accreditation from Co-operative Education and Work Integrated Learning (CEWIL) Canada. We have dedicated relationship managers and top students available to hire year-round. We offer multiple diverse academic specializations for students who are interested in building expert knowledge across various functional areas of business.
We continue to innovate annually: In 2020, we expanded professional pathways in accounting and finance that are recognized by the CPA, CFA, and ACCA, allowing students to expedite their professional accreditation. We are also the first to guarantee that every student will have an applied learning experience where real-time industry projects are embedded in their learning journey. Read more about work-integrated learning at U of T Scarborough.
Hear from our students directly about the impact of co-op:
CIBC has been a life-changing opportunity where I experienced both professional and personal growth. I had a fantastic manager who was very supportive of my goals and made sure that I was always surrounded by an environment that facilitates learning in an inclusive work culture. My time with CIBC is highlighted by the SWAT Consultant program where I had the opportunity to present an innovative social media framework proposal to the CEO. Looking into my career goals, my work term at CIBC has made me realize that I can see myself working at a financial institute like CIBC in the future.
– Taylor Wohlshutz (Summer 2019 Co-op, Personal Banking Division)
Working at BlackBerry was an experience that took me out of my comfort zone. I had the opportunity to join in projects that were client facing and I even presented in front of the VP of Global Sales. I have always been passionate about business and technology, and BlackBerry gave me the opportunity to work with both.
– Noah Joseph (Fall 2018 Co-op, Sales and Marketing Division)
Our co-op program is continually enhanced to stay on the cutting edge. This provides a proven formula for success through an advanced curriculum, including:
Inspiring Students to Succeed
- The Co-op Programs in Management at the University of Toronto Scarborough will be a recognized leader in co-operative education through innovation, excellence, and positive learning experiences.
We Believe in Students
- Through experiential learning, we know that each student has the ability to achieve their individual goals. By offering excellent service, flexibility and innovative programming, we provide the environment students need to turn their abilities into productive, exciting opportunities.
We Value Partnerships
- We build lasting relationships with outstanding employers, alumni, and faculty to prepare students to be proactive contributing members of the business community. We work one-on-one with employers to understand their needs and exceed their expectations.
- Longevity: We focus on building long-term relationships with all stakeholders.
- Flexibility: We recognize stakeholders’ unique needs, and commit to meeting them thoughtfully and creatively.
Learning and Innovation
- Knowledge: We focus on continuous learning as a way to build and contribute to knowledge.
- Development: We recognize the importance of meeting the personal and professional needs of stakeholders.
- Leadership: We are a leader in ideas, thoughts, and actions. We take risks to try new ideas and to seek creative ways of solving problems.
- Forward-thinking: We work towards shaping the future and recognize the impact of our current actions on stakeholders’ futures.
- Respect: We are respectful to stakeholders and each other in all aspects of service delivery.
- Equitability: We treat each stakeholder fairly and provide them with an equal level of service.
- Efficiency: We strive for a seamless flow of operations and follow through on our commitments.