Student Managed Fund
The U of T Scarborough Student Managed Fund (SMF) is an innovative joint venture between the Department of Management, U of T Scarborough Library, and The BRIDGE. The SMF strives to engage BBA students in an experiential learning environment that bridges the gap between the academic theory of finance and industry practice, while enhancing recruitment opportunities. Students are able to gain experience managing an investment fund, participating in all stages of the investment process, from research and security election, to trading, reporting, and compliance. Participating in the SMF will also prepare students for careers in global capital markets, asset management, research, trading and execution, performance attribution, reporting, and investment banking. The SMF aspires to engage alumni to remain actively involved with the SMF as mentors, supporters, and advisors on a mutually beneficial platform and continue to build on the outstanding learning experience at U of T Scarborough.
The primary objective of the SMF is to provide a platform for the brightest and most ambitious finance students with experience in all stages of the portfolio management process, from research and trading, to reporting and compliance, effectively preparing them for a career in global capital markets. The return objective of the SMF is to develop and manage a diversified portfolio that minimizes risk and maximizes growth to outperform its benchmark (S&P TSX Composite Index) in the long run.
- Report and Analysis: An Annual Fund Report is produced by the SMF team and includes top stock picks and analysis in detail. Ask us for a copy or join our annual fall presentation.
- Advisory Board: Members volunteer to provide guidance and mentorship to Portfolio Managers and Analysts on the SMF team. Advisors have extensive industry experience and meet quarterly to review the portfolio and fund performance. They are an integral part of the team, we would like to acknowledge our current advisory group for 2020-2021:
- Victor Pang, Senior Manager, TMX Group
- Frank Cheng, Principal Private Capital, OTPP
- Owais Qureshi, Director and Senior Portfolio Manager, Quantitative Investments, Canada Post Corporation
- David Mak, Vice President Fixed Income, Sales and Trading, GMP Securities
- Leslie Yang, Vice President, Eight Capital
If you are interested in applying for an Advisory Board position, then please contact:
The BRIDGE Supervisor
U of T Scarborough
Join the SMF Team
Each academic year, the SMF will hire its investment team to conduct activities in all stages of the investment process. The investment team consists of portfolio managers and analysts. Please review the job descriptions below for an in-depth understanding about the roles.
Please note that job applications are only accepted during the hiring period. We highly recommend you to approach to our team members for a quick responses of your questions.
Contact Us or Request SMF Annual Report 2019/20
For any inquiries, or to apply for a position, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org