What is UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan)?
UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) is a mandatory medical insurance plan for all international students. Each year when you enroll in courses on ACORN and pay your fees, you will automatically be enrolled in UHIP for the 12 month period from September to August. UHIP coverage is provided by Sun Life Assurance Company (Sun Life).
Who UHIP Applies to:
- International students studying in Ontario
- International employees working in Ontario who cannot gain access to OHIP
- Family members of international students and employees who are not eligible for OHIP
- Canadian employees or other individuals who are satisfying the OHIP waiting period
- Short term visitors associated with a participating university
Visit this website for more information
Once enrolled in UHIP, check your university email for your UHIP coverage card.
- Email from: Sun Life Financial
- Download, print and carry the coverage card with you
- Show it on every visit to the doctor (including a clinic or lab) or hospital
- Students are encouraged to register UHIP online to access important information and sign-up for direct deposit for claims reimbursement
Can’t access your university email account?
You need to talk to Student Help Desk on Bladen Wing 4th floor if you are having trouble accessing your University email.
Didn't get an email from Sun Life?
Have you been enrolled in UHIP but didn't get an email from Sun Life?
Please visit the International Student Centre on the fourth floor of Highland Hall.
Have questions about your UHIP coverage or need help registering online?
Speak to someone at the International Student Centre, or email email@example.com.
You will automatically be enrolled in UHIP for the 12 month period from September 1st to August 31st of every academic year.
There are several sites both on- and off-campus where you can present your UHIP card instead of paying.
Learn how to submit a claim form and discover more about your UHIP coverage options.
Supplementary health insurance plans provide you with additional coverage for services that are not covered under UHIP (or OHIP).