Initial Study Permit made Outside of Canada

If you have received an offer of admission to the University of Toronto, you must apply for your study permit from outside Canada before travelling to Canada to study. Your Study permit may allow you to work on and off-campus when you are a full-time registered student.

Coming to U of T from a Canadian High School?

If you are moving from a Canadian high school to the University and have a valid study permit, you don’t need to change or apply for a new study permit. However, if your study permit is about to expire, you have to apply to extend it 30 to 60 days prior to the expiry date of the permit. You cannot attend classes with an expired study permit unless you apply to renew it before it expires.

Transferring to U of T from another Canadian Post-Secondary Institution?

If you have a valid study permit for post-secondary education, you can transfer between programs and institutions without applying for a new study permit. However, you must inform Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) via their IRCC account when transferring between designated learning institutions.

Are you a Citizen or Permanent Resident of USA, Greenland and ST. Pierre and Miquelon?

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the USA, a resident of Greenland and ST. Pierre and Miquelon, you have the option to apply for your study permit upon your arrival at the Canadian port of entry (international airports in Canada or major US/Canada border crossings) as along as a complete paper application is provided to the immigration authorities and the application fee is paid directly at the border.  Check if you require a medical exam and undergo the exam before travelling to Canada.

What You Need to Know - Initial Study Permit

Applying for a New Study Permit

You may submit an application package for a study permit by:

Applying online (offers faster processing time and more convenience).

If you apply online, you will answer a questionnaire, create a personal check list code, sign up/log into MYCIC account and automatically see a list of the required application forms and documents you have to provide.


Applying on paper through Visa Application Centre (VAC).

If you are applying on paper, make sure you complete the document checklist and application form and supporting documents. The instruction guide provides assistance with how to fill out the form and submit supporting documents.

Depending on your citizenship or where you live, you may need a temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic Travel Authorization as well as a study permit. If you are from one of the designated countries, when you apply for a study permit, visa officer will issue a TRV or e-TA along with your study permit. You do not need to apply separately for a TRV or eTA.

Right Documents to Apply

Important documents for study permit application are listed on CIC website. In addition to the documents listed on CIC, depending on your citizenship, you may have to provide additional information/documents (such as General Education and Employment form, family information, biometrics) when you apply for your study permit.

Processing Times

Apply early. Check the processing times by the visa office outside Canada where you submit your application. If your application is approved, you will be issued a TRV in your passport or an eTA (depending on your country of citizenship) and a Letter of Introduction. Your study permit will be issued at the border when you arrive in Canada.



Application Tips

  • Application form: Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1294)
  • UCI (if applicable):  also known as “Client ID” appears on your study and work permit if you already have one. If not, leave it blank
  • Designated Learning Institution (DLI) #:  O19332746152 Please note that DLI# begins with the letter “O”. Applicants are required to indicate this number on the study permit application forms.
  • Valid passport: If your passport will be expiring during your first year of study, renew it before applying for a study permit.
  • Proof of means of financial support - You'll need to show you can cover the cost of one year in Canada including school tuitionplus CAD $ 10,000 (for living expenses) by submitting a bank statement, savings account passbook, bank draft, or other proof that indicates you have sufficient funds. If a family member or an institution is providing you with the money, include their letter of support along with the proof of sufficient funds in their names.  You need to provide proof of an additional $4000 for your spouse and $3000 for each additional dependent if accompanying you to Canada.
  • Letter of Acceptance - Letter of acceptance is issued by university of Toronto on official letterhead accompanied by “Additional Information to be attached to Offer of Admission letter to be submitted to: Canadian Embassy/Consulate Immigration Section”. The letter shows the amount of your tuition fees, the anticipated starting date and the length of the program.
  • Medical Exam (if applicable). If you require a medical exam, wait for instructions from the visa office after you have submitted your application or undergo your medical exam before you submit your application. Your own doctor cannot perform the medical exam. You must see a doctor on the list of panel physicians.
  • Proof of custodianship (if applicable)* Notarized custodian declaration forms signed by parents and a custodian in Canada.

Students younger than 17 years of age who come to Canada to study and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of at least 19 years of age.

In some cases, a custodian may also be required for students between 17 and 18 years of age. This will be at the discretion of the visa officer. If you need one, a visa officer will contact you. Legal arrangements must be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Please see the "Studying in Canada - Minors" page for more information and required forms.

No UTSC staff member (ISC, Residence, etc.) may be your custodian. It is your responsibility to find a custodian who can be an extended family member, family friend or business associate living in Ontario. Alternatively, there are companies that provide such services for a fee. 

Study Permit and Compliance with the Conditions

If your study permit is not valid for the duration of your academic program you are admitted, you have to extend it before the expiry date of your study permit from within Canada. All study permit holders in Canada are required to actively pursue studies, meaning that you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program. Failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada. Your study permit becomes invalid 90 days after you complete your studies. Your program is considered complete when you receive written confirmation of program completion (for example, an official letter) from the Registrar Office.