Analytical environmental chemistry.
My research centres on the development of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy, with the specific objective to understand environmental processes at the molecular-level. My research program can be categorized into three main areas: the first places specific emphasis on the structural categories of carbon in the terrestrial and aquatic pools, their role in the global carbon cycle, and in the associations, fate and transport of organic contaminants and heavy metals. The second strives to understand the biochemical response of living systems to their changing environment, with the aim to “interpret” the metabolic fingerprint as an indicator of environmental stress and exposure. The third focus concerns the fundamental development of novel NMR approaches/technology and has evolved into a central component of my research since it is critical to efficiently address the previous two key research areas.
- Ontario Early Researcher Award (2008)
- CNC/IUPAC Travel Award (2008)
- Royal Society of Chemistry / Society for Environmental and Toxicology and Chemistry – Environmental Science Award (2009)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2010)
- RSC Joseph Black Award and Medal (2010)
- CSC Fred Beamish Award (2010)
- UTSC Principal’s Research Award (2010)
- CSC W.A.E. McBryde Medal (2011)
- Fugariu I., Bermel W., Lane D., Soong R., Simpson A. J.. In Phase Ultra Resolution In-vivo NMR, Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2017, 56, 6324.
- Fugariu I., Soong R., Lane D., Fey M., Maas W., Vincent F., Beck A., Schmidig D. Treanor B. and Simpson A. J., Towards Single Egg Toxicity Screening Using Microcoil NMR, Analyst, 2017, 142 (24), 4812-4824.
- Arakawa N., Aluwihare L., Simpson A.J., Soong R., Stephens B., Lane-Coplen D., Carotenoids are the likely precursor of a significant fraction marine dissolved organic matter, Science Advances, 2017, 3, 9, e1602976.
- Simpson A.J., Simpson M.J., Soong R., Environmental nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy: An overview and a primer, Analytical chemistry, 2017, 90(1), 628-639.
- Liaghati Mobarhan Y., Fortier-McGill B., Soong R., Maas W.E., Fey M., Monette M., Stronks H.J., Schmidt S., Heumann H., Norwood W. Simpson A.J. “Comprehensive Multiphase NMR Applied to a Living Organism” Chemical Science, 2016, 7, 4856-4866.
- Masoom H., Courtier-Murias D., Farooq H., Soong R., Kelleher B.P., Zhang C., Maas W.E., Fey M., Hutchins H., Krishnamurthy S., Kumar R., Monette M., Stronks H. J., Simpson M. J., Simpson A.J., Soil organic matter: unravelling the most complex biomaterial on Earth” Environmental Science and Technology, 2016, 50 (4), 1670–1680.
- O'Reilly S., Szpak M.T., Flanagana P.V., Monteys X., Murphy B.T., Jordana S.F., Allen C.R. , Simpson A.J., Mulligana S.M., Sandrona S., Kelleher B.P., Biomarkers reveal the effects of hydrography on the sources and fate of marine and terrestrial organic matter in the western Irish Sea, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, In Press.
- Farooq H., Courtier-Murias D., Soong R., Wolfgang B., Kingery W.M. and Simpson A. J., HR-MAS NMR Spectroscopy: A Practical Guide for Natural Samples, Current Organic Chemistry, In-Press, 2013.
- Cottrell, B.A., Gonsior, M., Isabelle, L.M., Luo, W., Perraud, V., McIntire, T.M., Pankow, J.F., Schmitt-Kopplin, P., Cooper, W.J., Simpson, A.J. A Regional Study of the Seasonal Variation in the Molecular Composition of Rainwater, Atmospheric Environment, 2013, 77, 588-597.
- Pisani, P., K. M. Hills, D. Courtier-Murias, A. J. Simpson, N. J. Mellor, E. A. Paul, S. J. Morris and M. J. Simpson. Molecular-level analysis of long-term vegetative shifts and relationships to soil organic matter composition. Organic Geochemistry, 2013, 62, 7-16.
- Whitfield Aslund, M., Stephenson G., Simpson A. J. and Simpson M. J.. Comparison of earthworm responses to petroleum hydrocarbon exposure in aged field contaminated soil using traditional ecotoxicity endpoints and 1H NMR-based metabolomics. Environmental Pollution, 2013, 182, 263-268.
For more publications see: http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~asimpson/