Your classes will take a variety of formats. You will work with your instructor and classmates as a whole and in groups. You will also do individual work, or team up with one or two classmates. Throughout the session you will receive feedback from your instructors. You are expected to be punctual and to be prepared for all classes.
This program will give you the skills and strategies necessary to help you do the following, in English:
- Follow academic lectures and take effective notes
- Participate in and lead discussions
- Prepare and deliver group seminars and presentations
- Produce a variety of unified, well-developed pieces of writing
- Use a variety of sentence structures to express complex academic ideas
- Understand and critically analyze a range of interdisciplinary academic texts
- Respond appropriately to a variety of communications (written, visual, graphic)
- Improve your understanding of vocabulary, colloquialisms, jargon and technical language
- Apply strategies for exam preparation
- Develop a student portfolio highlighting your strengths and goals
- Listen to a variety of recorded or live materials, and respond appropriately
- Access facilities and services available to all U of T Scarborough students
- Interact with instructors and fellow students
Develop facility in the use of Blackboard and other technologies.