Application Deadline Extended - Thursday January 17th 4pm
Summer 2019 Internship Opportunities Open!
The Centre for Critical Development Studies (CCDS) at the University of Toronto Scarborough has partnered with Uniterra to offer students an opportunity to intern with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in some of their partner countries. In 2018, internships will be offered in Ghana, Malawi, Tanzania, and Sri Lanka. The scholarships (worth $6,000 each) are made possible by a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships* Grant from the Government of Canada (QEII Diamond Jubiliee Scholarships) awarded to the CCDS. This is a unique opportunity for students to develop academic, professional and intercultural skills, while supporting Uniterra’s partner organizations in Commonwealth countries.
In order to be eligible for an Internship, students must be:
- Registered as a full time student in any discipline at the University of Toronto, with preference given to students enrolled at UTSC
- Be entering or enrolled in their third year of undergraduate studies, with a minimum CGPA of 2.5 at the end of the Winter 2019 term and enrolled in courses for Fall 2019
- Willing to register in an IDS Course (worth 0.5 FCE) associated with the internship (this will run throughout the duration of the internship)
- 35 years of age or under at time of their application
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Attend a mandatory pre-departure training including Safety Abroad, Intercultural Learning, and Logistics Orientation and a debrief following the internship in Toronto
- Participate in public community engagement activities both during (electronically, e.g. blog postings) and upon return from the internship (e.g. presentations, workshops).
- Complete financial and narrative reports upon returning to Canada.
- Able to do a minimum 90 day internship in Ghana, Malawi, Tanzania, or Sri Lanka
- Follow the U of T Safety Abroad policies for travel including attending all required pre-departure sessions.
2019 Internship Positions
- Communication & ICT Officer - Aid to Artisans Ghana
- Communications Officer - Fair River International Association for Development Ghana
- Public Engagement Officer - Trade Unions Congress Ghana
- Business Development Officer - Tanzania Tourist Board Tanzania
- Communications and Documentation Officer - Vision for Youth Tanzania
- Communications and Knowledge Management Officer - SUGECO Tanzania
- Social Network and Marketing - Tanzania Tourist Board Tanzania
- Youth Engagement Officer - Jitegemee Vijana Tanzania Foundation Tanzania
- Youth Engagement Officer - MVIWATA Tanzania
- Communications and Knowledge Management Officer - Early Childhood Development Coalition Malawi
- Communications Officer - WUSC Malawi
- IT and Communications Officer - Tea Association of Malawi
- M&E and Communications Officer - Network for Youth Development Malawi
- Media Business Officer - Timveni Malawi
- Partnership and Networking Officer - Art and Global Health Centre Africa (ArtGlo) Malawi
- Communication & Marketing Officer- Northern Province Tourism Association Sri Lanka
- Impact Investment Officer - The Lanka Impact Investing Network Sri Lanka
- Marketing and Communications Officer - Women Entrepreneurship Program Sri Lanka
- Youth Inclusion Officer - Hayleys-Kelani Valley Plantations Sri Lanka
Interested students are required to submit the following 4 documents:
- Cover Letter and Resume which outlines your interest in working with the Uniterra Program in one of the 4 countries (Ghana, Malawi, Tanzania, Sri Lanka). Please specify the country and internship of choice. This should be addressed to the Uniterra Team. Please select a maximum of 3 internships and write a separate cover letter for each internship. Document should be saved as: Surname_FirstName_Uniterra Application
- Statement of Interest - 500 words that describe why you think you will be an ideal QE Scholar (please review the QE Scholars page for further information). How will this experience abroad contribute to your future career aspirations? What skills and experience will you bring? What do you hope to learn from this experience? Please save this document as Surname_FirstName_Statement of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript indicating a CGPA of at least 2.5. Document should be saved as: Surname_Firstname_Transcript
- Reference Letter from a U of T Professor - Please advise Professor to send directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with Applicant Name in Subject
APPLICATION DEADLINE Thursday January 17th, 4pm.
Please send application through email to email@example.com
Questions: Please call or email Katie Boomgaardt - firstname.lastname@example.org
Highland Hall 410 ~ (416) 287 7113
**Late submissions will not be considered**
To learn more about the 2017-18 UTSC QE scholars, click here!
Also visit the QES Official Website to learn more about the Queen Elizabeth Scholarships and their #QEscholars adventures.
**The Canadian Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships (QES) is managed through a unique partnership of Universities Canada, the Rideau Hall Foundation (RHF), Community Foundations of Canada (CFC) and Canadian universities. This program is made possible with financial support from the Government of Canada, provincial governments and the private sector.**