Journalism FAQ's

Journalism FAQ's


Journalism FAQ's

This program is described as "the best of both worlds" in journalism education. Its unique blend of the academic and practical aspects of journalism produces high quality graduates that are ready to hit the ground running. By completing this program's degree and graduate certificate requirements as outlined in the UTSC Calendar, you can qualify for an honours degree from the University of Toronto and an Ontario Graduate Certificate in Contemporary Journalism. 

Yes. You will have to apply to the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus as a new student through OUAC. If your application is approved by the Admissions Office, you will be assessed for transfer credits for all post-secondary education. Up to 6.5 course credit equivalents may be applied to your U of T degree from your Advanced Diploma program at Centennial College (note: if you hold a degree from another institution, in addition to the diploma, you may receive additional transfer credits). A degree requires completion of 20.0 credits. See the University of Toronto Scarborough Calendar on the Registrar's site to find the list of courses required for the completion of the degree. For information on how to apply, please consult the "How to Apply" section. 

Centennial College courses in this program are held at the Story Arts Centre (SAC) Campus in East York. This campus is located at 951 Carlaw Ave (the closest intersection is Carlaw Ave and Mortimer Ave). All other courses will be held at UTSC. 

Yes, we recommend that students choose a minor in another discipline to satisfy the academic requirements of the program. You can minor in nearly any subject area. For example, you could be a journalism student minoring in Media Studies, English, Political Science, French, Sociology or Biology. 

All applications are reviewed by UTSC Admissions.

UTSC courses may be completed on a part-time basis, however, students must be full-time when completing Centennial College courses. 

Students do not start the Centennial College portion of their program until their 3rd year. Students need to have at least 10.0 credits including JOUA01H3, JOUA02H3, MDSA01H3, JOUB01H3, JOUB02H3, JOUB24H3 and JOUB39H3 before they can proceed to Centennial College. It is important that you take the UTSC courses for the program as soon as you are eligible to do so, so that you will be ready to begin your work at Centennial at the appropriate time. If you do not prepare appropriately, your access to Centennial courses may be impacted, possibly delaying your graduation.

You must choose all of your degree credit courses (including those taken at Centennial College, all of which are listed in the UTSC Calendar) using the U of T course registration system ACORN. All joint program courses are limited enrolment and restricted to students registered in the particular program.

Tuition and incidental fees will be payable to the University in the normal way. Each semester that you are enrolled in one or more courses at Centennial, the College charges a $20 program fee which is incorporated into your student fees on ACORN.  

Not necessarily. There can be important differences between start and end dates, reading weeks, and exam arrangements, and these vary somewhat by program. Please contact the Centennial College Program Coordinator for details.

The standard add and drop dates for UTSC (as published in the UTSC Calendar) will also apply to your Centennial College courses. Instructors for Centennial College courses will follow the standard practice in UTSC courses and return at least one item of graded term work to you prior to the drop date. The standard UTSC fee refund schedules will also apply to Centennial College courses. Once you have dropped a course on ACORN, you should also confirm this with the Administrative Coordinator via e-mail. 

The UTSC Financial Aid Office (S303) will administer all financial aid matters. You should not apply for financial aid at Centennial College.

Your instructor in courses at Centennial will inform you of your grades on in-course assignments and tests as appropriate, and your final grade will be available from UTSC on ACORN following the usual procedures. As is the case with all UTSC courses, you will be graded on the basis of an evaluation scheme that will be provided in writing at the start of the course. As at UTSC, in the unusual case that an instructor wishes to vary some aspect of the method of evaluation after the grading scheme has been announced, this may be done if a majority of students in the course consent. Your grades in Centennial courses will appear on your student record as a percentage along with the corresponding letter grade as specified in the UTSC calendar--just as for all other courses. They will receive the standard UTSC grade point value and be counted toward your GPA in the same way as your other courses. However, to receive the necessary program credit for most courses taught at Centennial you must receive a grade of at least 60% in the course. You should consult the program description in the UTSC calendar to see how this applies in each program. Although a grade of 50-59% in a Centennial course may not be sufficient for program purposes, it can be used for elective credit towards a UTSC degree (with another program or programs) should you leave the joint program. If your grade is less than 60% in a course in which this standard is required for the program, you may repeat the course, and both attempts will appear on your UTSC student record. However, if your grade is 50-59% on the first attempt, the second attempt (presumably over 60%) will not be factored into your GPA. This is standard practice for courses with multiple attempts over 50%. If you wish to request a copy of a final examination or to request a check of your grade in a Centennial course, you must follow the procedures described for UTSC courses in the UTSC calendar. If you wish to appeal a grade in a Centennial course, or wish to file a complaint about the conduct of an instructor in a Centennial course, you should not follow the procedure in the UTSC calendar; rather, in these matters you must follow the procedures laid out in Centennial College policies and procedures. Students in UTSC/Centennial College joint programs may access the Centennial College Student Relations Office for information regarding students' rights and responsibilities. The information contained in your student record and your student file will be available to officials of both institutions. Note that your official transcript will be available only at UTSC. For more information, consult your Administrative Coordinator. 

In addition to the standard UTSC regulations for Academic Standing (outlined in the UTSC calendar), if, on your first attempt at a Centennial course, you receive a grade of less than 60%, this is deemed as a failure in the course and you will be placed on probationary status within the program (this is not the same as the probationary academic status outlined in the UTSC Calendar). You are still eligible to continue in your program courses and electives while on program probation, but if you receive a grade of less than 60% on your second attempt at the Centennial course for which this standard is required, you will be ineligible to remain in the program. Also, if your CGPA falls below a 2.0 you may be removed from the program. If you become ineligible to continue in the joint program, but are still eligible to continue your studies at UTSC under the regulations for Academic Standing, you may pursue degree studies at UTSC with any alternate program or programs that you are qualified to enter.

As in your UTSC courses, you should seek special consideration only when there are circumstances which are not only beyond your control but which you could not reasonably have anticipated or overcome and which have seriously affected your studies. Extensions or other special consideration for term tests or term work are at the discretion of your instructor and Centennial College. If you are making a request such as for a deferred final examination or late withdrawal from the course after the final drop date, you must follow the petition procedure outlined in the UTSC calendar. Such requests should not be taken up directly at Centennial. To appeal denial of a petition, you must follow the appeals procedures described in the UTSC calendar, as for other courses.  For more information, please consult your Administrative Coordinator.   

Staff members of each institution (UTSC or Centennial) are governed by the nonacademic policies of their home institution whenever they are on the premises of that institution or are carrying out an activity or business that is related to that institution. Students of each institution are in general governed by the nonacademic policies of their home institution. However, students in the joint programs, although registered at the University, also enjoy all of the rights and privileges of Centennial students. Accordingly, when they are on the premises of the University, they are governed by the nonacademic policies of the University, and when they are on the premises of Centennial College, they are governed by the nonacademic policies of the College. Students or staff who have concerns or complaints about the conduct of any person in the context of participation in a joint program should seek assistance from one of the offices listed below, depending on the nature and circumstances of the complaint. This office will assist the complainant in determining which institution has jurisdiction over the complaint, depending on the affiliation of the respondent as specified below. The office will also ensure that the complainant has access to the relevant policy, and to the relevant office in the appropriate institution. Where the complaint is made against an employee of Centennial College, that complaint is dealt with under Centennial College policies and procedures. Where the complaint is made against an employee of the University of Toronto, that complaint is dealt with under the relevant non-academic policy of the University. Where the complaint is made against a student enrolled in a joint program while that student is on the premises of the College, or against a Centennial College student, that complaint is dealt with under Centennial College policies and procedures. Where the complaint is made against a student enrolled in a joint program while that student is on the premises of the University, or against a student of the University who is in another program, that complaint is dealt with under the relevant non-academic policy of the University. Key Contacts   University of Toronto   Office of Race Relations & Anti-racism Initiatives (handles complaints about conduct based on race, creed, colour, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship, place and country of origin) 416-978-1259 Sexual Harassment Office (handles complaints about conduct based on sex & sexual orientation) 416-978-3908 Community Safety Office (handles complaints about threats to personal safety) 416-978-1485 The following offices do not handle complaints but can act as resources: Status of Women Officer 416-978-2196 LGBTQ Programs & Resources 416-946-5624   Centennial College   College Dispute Resolution Officer Rm. 334-D, HP Science and Technology Centre (Ellesmere-Morningside Campus) 416-289-5000 ext. 8111 or ext. 2035 Chief Advisor, Director--Office of Human Rights Rm. C222, Progress Campus 416-289-5000 ext. 2464 Centennial College Safety and Security Office Rm. 234, HP Science and Technology Centre (Ellesmere-Morningside Campus) 416 289-5000 ext. 5340 Emergency HelpLine 416-439-HELP (4357)

As a UTSC student, you are bound by the University of Toronto Code of Student Conduct and the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters (see the UTSC calendar). While enrolled in Centennial courses, you are also bound by the Centennial College Code of Student Conduct. An academic offence committed in a course taught by Centennial may result in disciplinary action by both UTSC and Centennial College. You are entitled to the accommodations for religious observances described in the UTSC Academic Handbook in all of your courses, including courses taken from Centennial.  While at Centennial religious observances will also be accommodated under the Centennial Religious Accommodations Guidelines.

While you are enrolled in a joint program, you are a member of student societies at both institutions, and you may access student services and use facilities at either campus. During sessions in which you are taking Centennial courses, you will receive a Centennial College student card in addition to your UTSC card. If you are eligible for services provided by the UTSC AccessAbility Services office, the office will, at your request, inform the Centennial College Centre for Students with Disabilities of your needs; they will jointly ensure that appropriate accommodations are provided while you are attending courses at Centennial.

Students enrolled in Joint UTSC/Centennial Programs may purchase a parking permit from Centennial Morningside Campus. A permit from Centennial will be honoured not only at the shared UTSC/Centennial parking lots on Military Trail, but also at all other Centennial College campuses--including at SAC. Please inquire at Centennial Morningside Campus’ Enrolment Services office.

The UTSC Academic Advising & Career Centre (AC213) integrates academic advising, assistance with learning skills, and career and employment counselling. For questions about your program or academic rules and regulations, you may see an academic advisor. Career Counsellors help with career or employment related questions. The Centre has a library, which includes tip sheets, books, and information sheets on occupations and the labour market, as well as on learning skills. You may also search current work opportunities through Career Centre Online, a web-based database of job postings. Workshops and seminars are offered to help you reach your learning potential, as well as assist you with your career planning and employment search. For advice on program requirements and course selection, you should consult your UTSC program supervisor. Only the program supervisor can approve any variation from the program requirements laid out in the UTSC Calendar.