You can explore this site to find out about my courses, interests,
recent papers and C.V. Please visit the Department
of Life Sciences Web site to find out more about the programs and
courses offered at UTSC.
My research is on pictures in vision and touch and metaphor in
language and pictures:
- Kennedy J M. 1993
Drawing and the Blind (on
- Kennedy J M. 1974
Psychology of Picture Perception (on
perspective drawings by a blind man (PDF):
In press in Perception
- How perspective vision works is explained in: Looking
at perspective pictures from too far, too close, and just right, Igor
Juricevic and John M. Kennedy (PDF)." In press, in JEP:
- How apt features in metaphors require no explanation, but far-fetched similes are accompanied by comments: See Roncero, Kennedy and Smyth, in press, PB&R (PDF)
- For a general survey of simple experiments on literal and metaphoric pictures and the blind, see Kennedy in Sci American (PDF)
- For an explanation of outline drawings being unable to trigger shape-from-shadow see Kennedy and Bai (PDF).
- Three-point perspective and diminution in three dimensions drawn by blind man, in Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 2006, see Kennedy and Juricevic (PDF)
- To see how Rudi Arnheim's theory anticipated recent ideas about perspective see "Perspective: Arnheim and in between-solutions," (Word document) in press, JACA.
- To see how a Tracy from Toronto drew in two-point perspective, see "Drawings by a blind woman" (Word document)
- For a size illusion on a picture surface due to perspective, see Hammad, Kennedy, Juricevic and Rajani (in press, Spatial Vision) (PDF)
- For an angle illusion on a picture surface due to perspective see Juricevic et al (PowerPoint), poster from the CVR York University Conference June 2007.
- For supporting evidence that the congenitally blind draw in perspective, see this 2007 chapter.
- For the difference between a copy and a model see Kennedy & Vervaeke
(2008)(Word document) on bodily knowledge. Going bodily where no one went before.
- For ideas on tactile pictures that superficially appear in inverse perspective, see this 2008 paper.
- For a paper on an outline tactile picture of thoughts, see Kennedy (Perception, in press)(Word document)
- For emotional expression in simple lin drawings of profiles, see Bhasin, Kennedy and Niemeier (AP&P, in press). MsWord version.
For pictures by a man born totally congenitally blind, Esref Armagan
For metaphoric pictures by Ontario artist, Ron Eady www.roneady.com
See the CV page for an expanded overview of my
research and more specific information.
Thanks for visiting!
If you want to reach me try email@example.com
Tel: (416) 287-7435
Fax: (416) 287-7642