In keeping with the University of Toronto’s Statement of Commitment Regarding Persons with Disabilities, one of the many goals of the Department of Atheltics and Recreation at UTSC is to create a community that is inclusive of all persons and treats all members of the community in an equitable manner. In working toward this goal, the Department will strive to provide support for, and facilitate the accommodation of individuals with disabilities so that, where possible, all may share the same level of access to opportunities, participate in the full range of activities that the Department offers, and achieve their full potential as members of the UTSC community.
The Department will work to eliminate or minimize the adverse effects of barriers, including physical, environmental, attitudinal, communication and technological barriers, which may prevent the full participation of individuals with disabilities in Athletics and Recreation.
In supporting this commitment, the new Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre (TPASC) is 100% accessible; the facility meets or exceeds the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) standards for Accessible Design, in every program area throughout the building.
- Automatic door openers
- Accessible washrooms with accessible washroom fixtures
- Wheelchair accessible spectator seating
- Accessible pool lifts and a portable ramp so people can get into the pool without using the ladders
- Accessible parking spaces
- Accessible lockers
- A universal accessible set of change rooms, in addition to the field house and aquatic change rooms
- Designated space for Seeing Eye dogs on the pool decks
- High and low railings on the stairs
- Accessible fitness equipment that can be used by someone in a wheelchair
- Braille on the signage and elevator buttons
- Multiple elevators for people who need to avoid stairs
- Fire alarm system with both a visual (strobe) and an audible alarm for people with visual and auditory impairments
- “Areas of refuge” on all floors but the ground floor that are fire rated for two hours if there is a fire and the elevator cannot service those floors
- High contrast signage (e.g. dark on white) for people with low vision
- Variety of fitness classes designed for all levels and abilities
- Instructional classes (yoga, archery, etc)
- Sports from a recreational level to college intramural teams (table tennis, basketball)
- All programs may be adapted to fit your individual needs
In addition to the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre, our new premier Tennis Centre, will provide a state-of-the-art wheelchair accessible facility for programming and use, whether at a grassroots or high performance level
For more information on accessible services and facilities contact Laurie Wright