Students - UTogether

Last Updated: May 6, 2021


Student Access To Campus

Safety measures continue to be implemented on campus

  1. Ontario’s evolving response to COVID-19 continues to present all of us with unexpected challenges in our studies, and in our daily life. Provincial regulation and public health guidance now require that post-secondary institutions implement COVID-19 health screening via a self-assessment for anyone coming to campus. In order to comply with these directives, a self-assessment is now required for all members of our community, including students, each day they visit any of the three U of T campuses or any other property owned or operated by U of T.
  2. There are two ways that individuals can complete the required self-assessment and generate a risk status: by using UCheck, or be completing an offline or paper-based log each time you come to campus.
  3. Student access to campus is limited.
  4. Students can access the Bladen Wing Study Space and library resources through the entrance at the Academic Resource Centre (ARC) quad. Your contact information will be collected for contact tracing purposes.
  5. If you have an in-person appointment with the Health & Wellness Centre, you may access the Student Centre, staff at Health & Wellness will give you instructions on accessing the building.

What study spaces are available on campus?

The Library

The UTSC Library will be closed from April 24 until further notice. Library help for research, teaching, and learning is available online.

Bladen 4th Floor

The Bladen Wing study space will be closed from April 24 to May 6, 2021 and will reopen May 7, 2021.

Meeting Place

The seating that was in the Meeting Place has been removed, but the Meeting Place is still accessible to walk through.

MarketPlace Seating Area

The MarketPlace seating area is now closed.


What spaces are available and open on campus?

Health and Wellness Centre

  • Virtual appointments with a counsellor, doctor or nurse are available Monday and Friday from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm, Tuesday from 10:00 am to 4:45 pm and Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 7:45 pm.
  • Same-day virtual appointments are available, but students must email or call the Health and Wellness Centre first at 1(416) 287-7065.
  • The Health and Wellness Centre will see students in-person if on campus and in crisis.
  • In-person appointments are also available to students If medically indicated, but will be by appointment only.

Athletics and Recreation

As of October 10th, 2020 our office is offering virtual programs only.

Academic Advising & Career Centre

The Academic Advising & Career Centre is available to support you virtually. Call us at 416-287-7561 to set up your phone or online appointment.

AccessAbility Services

AccessAbility Services is available to support you virtually. Call 1(416) 287-7560 or email to arrange an appointment.

Student Housing and Residence Life Office Hours

Tuesday through Thursday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.

Student Life Programs & International Student Centre

Student Life Programs is open for virtual appointments Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Student events and programming will continue remotely. You can access the Student Programs calendar on the Career Learning Network site.

The International Student Centre is open for virtual appointments Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Note: Virtual appointments with an immigration advisor are available 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

You can also chat online with an immigration advisor during the following hours:
Monday and Wednesday 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.

Highland Hall

Highland Hall remains closed for in-person service. Please review the UTSC website for the department you would like to contact and connect with them directly to learn about services offered and virtual options. 

Administrative Offices include:

Admissions and Student Recruitment

Office of the Registrar

International Student Centre (In-person appointments for special circumstances will be considered by email requests only)

Academic Departments include: 

Centre for Critical Development Studies

Department of Anthropology

Department of Health and Society

Department of Human Geography

Department of Sociology

Department of Political Science

Library Access

See the Library Facilities section below for details.

What is UCheck?

UCheck is the easiest and most secure way to complete the required self-assessment and generate a COVID-19 risk status prior to coming to campus. Your risk status (e.g., “red” or “green”) is securely shared with the University, but individual responses to the UCheck self-assessment questionnaire are not accessible by the institution. More details on how to use UCheck, including how we are keeping this data private, are available at


In the event that you are unable to access the UCheck online self-assessment prior to coming to campus, please complete UCheck as soon as you are able to, once on campus. Alternatively, if choose not to use UCheck, you can access an offline or paper-based log to complete your self-assessment and document your risk status here.

Any student who receives a red status after completing a self-assessment should follow the directions provided via UCheck or on the offline or paper-based log.


Thank you for ensuring a safe, healthy environment and campus.

I don't have a computer or internet at home. Can I access these resources on campus?

While space is limited and physical distancing will be applied, students who do not have access to computer resources at home can access Wi-Fi and computer resources in the Library and Bladen Wing space. Virtual resources and services continue to be available for students.


Student locker rental are not available at this time. Please check the SCSU website periodically for more information.

Library Facilities

What services are available?

The UTSC Library will be closed from April 24 until further notice

Library help for research, teaching, and learning is available online.

Curbside Pickup Service

UTSC students, staff and faculty are eligible to use the library's Pickup Service for print books not available through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS).


Live Chat With A Librarian

Students are  encouraged to use the Ask Chat with a Librarian service or contact their Liaison Librarian for individual research help.


Although the  UTSC Makerspace (home to library 3D printers, iMac computers and more) is closed, students, staff and faculty are invited to attend online workshops provided by the Makerspace team.

Even though the Makerspace is closed, equipment can be booked at least 2 business days in advance by submitting an equipment booking form. Once a booking is confirmed, pick up is at the UTSC library on Wednesdays and Fridays.



The BRIDGE is operating online! Get easy access to virtual support and resources in business, finance, and entrepreneurship in one place. Stay up-to-date on access to the BRIDGE space.

Resources - The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL)

Academic Learning Support

The Centre for Teaching and Learning provides academic learning support to students through online tutoring, workshops, and peer supports to drive student success.

Writing Support

Feeling unconfident about your writing? The Centre for Teaching and Learning Writing Support offers UTSC students free online instruction and resources to help improve writing skills and build your writing confidence.

English Language Development Support

Looking to communicate more effectively for your academic needs? Or to participate confidently in classes, tutorials and campus life? Get equipped with strategies and tools to participate actively in the academic community here.

Math and Statistics Support

Support with free seminars, workshops, virtual tutoring, individual appointments, and small-group consultations in various subjects of mathematics and statistics can be found here.

Technical Support

Studying remotely or "online" is going to require some adjustments. Our UTSC campus partners are working together to help you succeed! Find out more about Remote Learning.

Winter Term 2021

What are the protocols for students who need to attend campus to access study space or for research purposes?

Students attending campus to use the study space are directed to enter through the ARC entrance. 

Students who are here for research purposes will be granted access through both the ARC and SW entrances. 

Students are required to produce the T-card and swipe in at either entrance. If student is not able to provide T-card, evidence of enrolment is required. 

Anyone planning to arrive on campus is asked to complete U-check prior to their arrival. 

When will Winter term classes start?

Winter term classes will begin Monday January 11, 2021.

Will Reading Week be affected by the January 11, 2021 start date?

Reading Week will remain in place as planned, during the week of February 15, 2021.

Will the overall term be extended to accommodate the later start for 2021?

The overall term will not be lengthened. Classes will now end April 12, 2021 with the examination period still to conclude on April 23, 2021.

Will course enrolment, drop dates and financial deadlines be adjusted due to the later start of Winter term?

Course enrolment, drop dates and financial deadline dates will be adjusted to accommodate the late start of classes. The amended dates will be posted to the Registrar website, the week of November 23, 2020.

What will the Winter term look like?

As public health and safety regulations remain in place for the winter season, and with the safety and well-being of our community being our top priority, we will proceed only with course elements that are deemed essential to the learning outcomes of the course (elements that cannot be replicated online or in a remote environment) in-person. This will mainly be laboratories. All other elements will be offered online.

If you are currently enrolled in a winter course that includes an in-person element (that is not deemed essential), this will now be delivered online. You will receive a message from the Registrar’s Office with further details. These changes will also be indicated on the course timetable.

For courses with mandatory in-person elements (i.e., with no corresponding remote component), will there be a guarantee that they will be repeated in subsequent terms?

We maintain our commitment to offer these in-person elements in subsequent academic terms. Appropriate accommodations to program requirements relating to in-person courses will be made for those intending to graduate in June 2021.

I am graduating in June 2021, but I cannot attend some in-person required courses – will this delay my graduation?

No, your graduation will not be delayed. For students who are otherwise on track to graduate, departments will adjust program requirements to allow a path to graduation for those who cannot attend in-person required courses this year.

I am graduating in June 2021, what can I do to prepare for my transition into my career?

There are several resources available for students preparing for graduation. We recommend attending the Employer Information Sessions and Networking Events available. We also recommend attending our annual Get Hired conference at the end of April 2021. For access to our online career workshops please click here.

Will other in-person elements be provided as restrictions/space permits and for faculty and students who are willing?

We have taken a very cautious approach towards offering in-person course elements for the entire 2020-21 academic year. We will offer in-person classes to the extent that health requirements and faculty and student interest will allow. We will update the timetable with any new in-person course offerings as they become available from the academic departments.

Will there be an extension for payment of service fees?

The date to make a payment to avoid service charges for the Fall term was changed from September 30, 2020 to January 31, 2021. The date for charges to appear on the invoice for the Fall and Winter terms was adjusted to February 16, 2021.

For any in-person offering, will there will be a remote backup plan in the event of restrictions that will not allow for such in-person elements?

We recognize that Public Health restrictions may not allow for in-person elements in the Winter term. In this event, our current approach of being 100% online will remain in place for every offering.

Who can I contact regarding questions I have about the Winter 2021 term?

If you have questions pertaining to course registration, enrolment or financial aid please contact:
For questions regarding specific course delivery methods please contact the respective academic department.
For academic advising support please contact:
For AccessAbility services please contact:

What If health regulations change during the winter term? What will happen to the remaining in-person elements?

As safety and well-being remains our top priority, in the event there is a change to health regulations, we will pivot appropriately in compliance with provincial directives and convert these elements to an online format.

Summer Term 2021

When does summer registration open?

Students can begin viewing summer enrolment details on March 22, 2021. Additional enrolment and other important dates related to the summer term will be posted on the Registrar's website as they become available.

Will Summer courses remain online or move to in-person?

Summer classes (at both the undergraduate and graduate levels) will be offered mostly online, either online synchronously or asynchronously. For courses delivered synchronously, we will continue to ensure that required course content and various forms of participation are available for students who cannot attend at the scheduled online class time.

Online synchronous

A course is considered Online Synchronous if it requires online attendance at a specific time for some or all course activities, and does not require attendance at a specific location for any activities or exams.

Online asynchronous

A course is considered Online Asynchronous if it has no requirement for attendance at a specific time or location for any activities or exams.


A course is considered In-Person if it requires attendance at a specific location and time for some or all course activities.*

*Subject to adjustments imposed by Public Health requirements for physical distancing.


What are the protocols for students who need to attend campus to access study space or for research purposes?

Students attending campus to use the study space are directed to enter through the ARC entrance. 

Students who are here for research purposes will be granted access through both the ARC and SW entrances. 

Students are required to produce the T-card and swipe in at either entrance. If student is not able to provide T-card, evidence of enrolment is required.

Anyone planning to arrive on campus is asked to complete U-check prior to their arrival.

For course elements that are deemed essential, will they be offered in-person?

There will continue to be some graduate or undergraduate courses/course elements (such as labs, or tutorials) which are deemed to be “essential” and will be offered in-person. Section sizes will be restricted in order to follow University and Public Health guidelines in place at such time, and thus may change depending on the restrictions set in place. The specifics as to which courses or course elements will be offered in-person will be announced as soon as they are available.

Is there someone I can contact about choosing my summer courses?

When choosing summer courses, students should consult with the Academic Advising & Career Centre and/or your program advisor.

Will summer exams be in-person?

There will be no in-person final exams. All exams will be conducted remotely. Time zone resolutions for on-line final examinations will continue to be in effect for the Summer term. If you are physically in a different time zone and your final exam is scheduled outside 7:00 a.m. - midnight in your local time, you may request a new time on eService

Will I have access to the Library and other study spaces?

The Library and other study/computer access spaces will continue to be available to students over the summer. Details concerning opening hours, locations and student access rules will be announced before the start of the term (March 22, 2021).

Who can I contact for technical support for my online leaning?

Please refer to Quercus for technical support and more information on technical requirements relating to online learning. For academic learning support, please visit The Centre for Teaching and Learning.

General Safety & Physical Distancing Measures

Mask usage on campus

  • Any individual in an indoor space at U of T (that is normally publicly accessible) will be required to wear a face mask or face covering, when measures such as physical barriers are not available. This includes hallways, lobbies, elevators and other common use facilities.
  • Exemptions are provided for people with underlying medical conditions that inhibit their ability to wear masks and individuals in specific areas that are not intended for public use.
  • Masks may be removed when taking part in athletic or fitness activities and in situations where wearing a mask impedes delivery and receiving of services.

U of T will provide approximately 250,000 non-medical, fabric face masks to students, staff, faculty and librarians (two per person). Student distribution of masks will run from September 8 to September 18 during the set hours at the following locations:

  • Residence (available to all students not just residence students) - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Chem Stores (ESCB): Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • SW Entrance Welcome Desk: Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Health and Wellness Centre: Monday from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm, Tuesday from 10:00 am to 4:45 pm (Virtual/Phone Appts only), Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 7:45 pm, and Friday from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm (Virtual/Phone Appts only). Closed for Lunch Daily 12:50 pm to 2:00 pm.


Physical distancing

  • Classrooms will be setup so that students can sit at least two metres (6 feet) apart from one another.
  • A maximum number of individuals allowed in a particular space will be adhered to.

Entrances and exits

Dedicated entrances and exits are currently being established to promote a one-way flow of traffic to adhere to physical distancing restrictions.


Keep an eye out for signage located across the campus that will encourage and instruct everyone to practice safe physical distancing and proper hand hygiene.

Meeting rooms and elevators

Signage will be provided indicating maximum occupancy for meeting rooms and elevators, as well as to direct the flow of foot traffic.

Cleaning and disinfecting

  • Libraries and classrooms will be cleaned five times per week, while surfaces that people frequently come into contact with--including elevator buttons and doorknobs--will be disinfected twice a day, in keeping with Public Health Ontario guidelines.
  • Caretaking staff are also using a new, chlorine-based solution approved for use against SARS-CoV-2, (the virus that caused COVID-19).

Sanitizing stations

The university will install upwards of 1,000 hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipe dispensers across the three campuses so that people can easily disinfect their hands. Each dispenser will be touchless and installed at an accessible height in visible locations.

Protective measures

  • Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) is conducting assessments across U of T’s three campuses to ensure that adequate physical distancing measures are in place.
  • In high-traffic areas where maintaining a two-metre distance from others isn’t possible or is impractical are being assessed and appropriate protective measures such as Plexiglass barriers and sneeze guards will be installed.

AccessAbility - General Services

What AccessAbility Services are available to support me?

AccessAbility Services provides academic accommodations and supports for students with disabilities and health considerations, including mental health conditions, ADD/ADHD, Learning Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), sensory disabilities, chronic health conditions, concussions or head injuries, mobility or functional disabilities and temporary disabilities and injuries.

To register with AccessAbility Services please visit the Registration Information webpage and complete the Online Intake Registration Form.

How can I schedule an appointment with my Disability Consultant or Assistive Technology Consultant?

If you have not yet registered with AccessAbility Services, please visit the Registration Information webpage and complete the Online Intake Registration Form.  If you have already connected and registered with AccessAbility Services, please contact the front desk staff to book an appointment, by phone (416) 287-7560 or email If you leave a voicemail, please leave your full name and a phone number at which staff members may contact you.

How will I meet with my Disability Consultant or Assistive Technology Consultant if we cannot meet in person?

Students can meet with Disability Consultants and Assistive Technology Consultants on MS Teams, by phone, or can communicate via email.

Note: Students can go to the UTSC MS Teams site to install and access MS TEAMS on their device. For assistance downloading the MS TEAMS application, please contact the student helpdesk at 416-287-4357 (HELP) or

If you experience technical difficulties connecting during an MS Teams appointment, you can reach out the AccessAbility Services front desk staff at 418-287-7560 or

Can I still connect with my healthcare provider at Health & Wellness remotely?

If you are seeing a healthcare provider at Health & Wellness within the University of Toronto, you will still be able to connect with them over the phone. Find more information on the UTSC Health & Wellness website.

AccessAbility Services also considers your lived experience for accommodation planning. During the Intake process the service will assess your eligibility for services and discuss next steps. Students will be required to submit medical documentation to the service, upon request.

How will I receive my accommodations now that my course is online?

Students who are registered with AccessAbility Services have access to their accommodations while attending courses online. Please contact your Disability Consultant should you have specific questions about how your accommodations will translate to an online learning environment. If you haven’t already, and feel comfortable doing so, please share your Letter of Accommodation with your course instructors. If you require support please contact the office at 416-287-7560 or

I have a reduced course load accommodation. How will this be affected by transitioning to remote learning?

If your full-time status changed because of the transition to online learning, please connect with your Disability Consultant. If you receive OSAP, we recommend you speak with a Financial Aid Advisor in the Office of the Registrar and an Academic Advisor to discuss degree and program planning.

I regularly use sign language interpreting or having my courses captioned in real-time. What should I do now that my courses are online?

Should you require specific services for online lectures, please reach out to to discuss next steps. There are many alternative options for you to access lecture content remotely.

Can I continue to access peer notetaking?

Yes, our amazing volunteer note takers continue taking notes and uploading them to the notetaking portal on myAIMS. Students may also download the note taking package and download the note taking announcement script, and email it direct to their course instructors.

Students are asked to request note taking accommodations for their courses as early as possible, and to check their course notes regularly in myAIMS.  If students experience difficulties finding a note taker match in myAIMS, or have issues with missing lecture notes, please contact or call 416-208-2662 as soon as possible.

What should I do if I have been diagnosed with COVID-19, affecting my ability to complete my studies?

You may be eligible to receive accommodations based on your medical condition. Please review the Online Intake Registration process on our website and complete the Online Intake Registration Form to register for supports.  You may also contact AccessAbility Services at 416-287-7560 or to discuss next steps.

AccessAbility - Tests, Midterms & Exam Accommodations

Am I still able to write my online tests/exams with accommodations?

Accommodated Test and Exams is still operational and providing accommodated testing support to students for online tests and exams.

Registered students should continue to request accommodations for their timed tests/exams via myAIMS.  

I have accommodations for additional writing time as well as stopped clock breaks. How will this work in an online testing format?

Additional writing time, stopped clock breaks as well as breaks will be added to your total test writing time. Students are strongly encouraged to use their break time as intended. Quercus will not shut down or "time out" if you step away from your computer during the allotted time for your testing. For more detailed steps, please see our Taking a Timed Exam on Quercus instruction document (MS Word).

How will my instructor know my accommodations are online and if I require extra time?

As long as you submit your request to write with accommodations to the Accommodated Tests and Exams office through myAIMS, then your allocated extra time will be facilitated by that office. You do not need to reach out to your instructor, but it is very important that you register for any online tests/exams as early as possible to ensure this is arranged prior to your test/exam time.

I am writing a timed online exam. How do I know how much time I have?

In the Quercus application, under the Course Navigation, please click the Quizzes link then click the Exam to see its duration and the exact date/time it will open.

For step-by-step instructions, please view Taking a Timed Exam in Quercus instructions (MS Word).

Has the registration process changes for test/exam registration?

Registration for timed tests and exams remains the same.  Registered students should submit their requests for accommodations through myAIMS.

My final exam is no longer showing up on myAIMS. What should I do?

Students should email to discuss this with the Accommodated Test and Exam Services. In your email, please state if you have received any information from the professor regarding the status of the exam.

What is the difference between a take-home exam and an assignment a student would usually request a one-week extension on using their letter of accommodation?

A take-home exam is a timed assignment that replaces a final exam. Generally, an Instructor has already built-in extra time for students with accommodations to complete their final exam.  However, if you feel that you require additional time or other accommodations for your take-home exam, please reach out to your Disability Consultant.

When reaching out to your Disability Consultant, please provide them with as much detail about the exam as possible, including deadlines, timeframes, and any announcements your professor has made about the exam.

For an assignment, which may have been provided with weeks or months to prepare, a student can request an extension of up to one week from the due date, if this is included as one of their approved accommodations. 

If you have questions related to additional time or extensions, please communicate with your Disability Consultant.

How do I submit my take-home exams to Quercus

I am writing my online final exam on Quercus with my Assistive Technology. Do you have any suggestions to help me use my AT in the Quercus Platform?

See below for tips for using Assistive Technology in Quercus.

For Chrome: Kurzweil 3000 Read the Web text to speech 

For Firefox: Jaws Screen Reader, NVDA screen reader, Dragon speech recognition, ZoomText screen enhancement 

For Safari: VoiceOver screen reader (Macintosh OS)

Compatible with Quercus: Windows OS accessibility options, Macintosh OS accessibility options 

General Accessibility Resources

AccessAbility - Academics

I need to petition an extension for my course work for disability-related reasons. How do I do this?

If you have not yet registered with AccessAbility Services, please visit the Online Intake Registration web page for more information on how to access supports. 

If you are already registered with AccessAbility Services, you can discuss your disability-related petition by booking an appointment with your Disability Consultant. Petitions are submitted through the Office of the Registrar. Visit the Registrar’s Office website for petition guidelines.

If you are experiencing COVID-19 related symptoms and need to petition your course work, please review the COVID-19 Absence Declaration.

AccessAbility - BSWD Funding

How will online learning affect my BSWD funding/application?

If you are currently receiving BSWD funding for in-course supports/or other services, please connect with your Disability Consultant and Enrollment Services should you have any further questions.

If you have recently submitted a BSWD application (and are waiting for confirmation of approval), UTSC students with disabilities can check the status of your application and funding by going to the online portal listed on the Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities page.

How do I submit BSWD receipts?

BSWD receipts can be submitted by email to Please ensure your name and student number are located on the receipts, as well as a standard cover sheet.  

A standard cover sheet to accompany your receipts is available from the Enrolment Services website. Receipts will also be accepted as PDF from your University of Toronto email, please keep copies of your receipts for your records.

What can I do with unused BSWD funds?

Any unused bursary funds must be repaid by a money order, certified cheque or bank draft payable to the University of Toronto at this email address: Please ensure your name and student number is located on the cheque/money order or bank draft.

Photocopies of your cheque/money order or bank draft will be accepted as PDF from your University of Toronto email, please keep copies for your records.

AccessAbility - Learning and Social Support

I need guidance on getting started and writing my essay/written assignment. Is there someone who can help me?

Supportive writing services are available through an online format. If you would like to attend a session please visit the Writing Support tutoring website to book a one-on-one appointment for writing support.

What supports are available to help me transition to online learning?

To help with the online learning/testing format there are a number of reference tips, referral pathways and next steps, please download Accessibility Resources for Students in Online Learning and the COVID-19 Response: Take Home Tests and Online Exams.

Visit the AccessAbility Services Event web page for the latest events and learning support workshops.

Quick Links & Additional FAQs

Health, Wellness & Counselling Centre

UTSC's Health & Wellness Centre offers appointment bookings and virtual counselling sessions. For additional mental health support and resources available to UTSC students, visit Mental Health Services and Resources For UTSC Students.

Student Housing Residence Life

Get involved in residence life and find out more about facilities and support available through UTSC Student Housing & Residence Life website.

TCards and UTORid

Students who are getting their first TCard can use a new online tool to choose and upload their own photo. The MyPhoto system walks users through a simple, five-step process that includes uploading an image, editing it and choosing where to pick up the physical card once the university re-opens. For more information about obtaining TCards and activating your UTORid, please visit the TCard Services information page

Equity Offices

The Equity & Diversity Office and the Office of Indigenous Resources remain open and available to provide support, and offers a list of resources available to assist you with campus life. Visit their webpage, for a list of on and off campus resources available to you.

International Students

Advisors are available to assist international and exchange students and newcomers with Transition and Immigration support. Whether you’re a First Year Student, need Immigration advice or want to know more about The Global Mobility Program, the International Student Centre has information and resources to answer your questions. Additional information for current and newly-admitted international students is available on from the Vice-Provost Students website.

Additional links: