Department Chair - On Leave
- Association of American Geographers
- Canadian Association of African Studies
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources
- People-environment interactions
- Land rights
- Politics of development projects
- Politics of land use planning
- Southern Africa
Awards and Grants
- 2008-2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant
- 2008-2010 Connaught New Staff Matching Grant
- 2006-2008 Connaught Start-up Grant
- Walker, C., Bohlin, A., Hall, R and Kepe, T. (eds) (2010). Land, Memory, Reconstruction and Justice: Perspectives on Land Claims in South Africa. Athens: Ohio University Press.
- Srutt, C and Kepe, T. (2010). Implementing Education for All - Whose Agenda, Whose Change? The Case Study of the Ghana National Education Campaign Coalition. International Journal of Educational Development, Vol.30, No. 4:369-376.
- Silva, S and Kepe, T. 2010. An examination of 'Participation' and 'Sustainability' in a Food Security Project among the Rural Poor in Northwestern Tanzania. African and Asian Studies, Vol.9, No.1-2:31-54.
- Kepe, T. 2009. Unjustified Optimism: Why the World Bank's 2008 'Agriculture for Development' Report Misses the Point for South Africa. Journal of Peasant Studies, Vol. 36, No. 3:637-643.
- Kepe, T. 2009. Shaped by Race: Why ‘race’ still matters in the challenges facing biodiversity conservation in Africa. Local Environment, Vol.14, No.9:871-878.
- Kepe, T. 2008. Land Claims and Co-management of Protected Areas in South Africa: Exploring the Challenges. Environmental Management, Vol.41, No.3:311-321.
- Kepe, T. 2008. Beyond the Numbers: Understanding the Value of Vegetation to Rural Livelihoods in Africa. Geoforum, Vol.39, No.2:958-968.
- Metcalfe, S & Kepe, T. 2008. "Your Elephant on Our Land" The Struggle to Manage Wildlife Mobility on Zambian Communal Land in the Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area. Journal of Environment and Development, Vol. 17, No.2:99-117.
- Kepe, T., Bissonnette, JF & Roberts, D.J. 2008. Why are Students Attracted to Political Ecology? Environment and Planning A,Vol.40, No. 11:2539-2543.