Management and Computer Science Students
The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development regulates fee assessments for deregulated programs across all Ontario universities and colleges. Students in the following programs will have their tuition fees assessed at a deregulated rate once they have earned 4.0 credits or more:
- Management (Coop and Non-Co-op)
- Computer Science (Specialist and Majors only, including Coop and Non-Co-op).
- This credit count includes transfer credits from another post-secondary institution, the International Baccalaureate program, and/or other sources deemed eligible by the University. We recommend that students in these programs read the information below carefully, as your tuition fee assessment is linked directly with the number of courses taken per semester.
Students Entering Management or Computer Science after First Year
Normal entry point for these programs is the semester after you have earned 4.0 credits or more, usually in Year 2. Once admitted to the program, you will be charged program fees retroactively for any courses completed during your second year of study onwards as described above. Shortly after you first accept your offer to a deregulated program, your fees will be reassessed. Check ACORN regularly for your revised balance and pay this as soon as possible. If you have any questions and/or concerns about your revised invoice, speak to a Financial Aid Advisor immediately.
The tuition rate for deregulated programs is higher. The fee you pay depends on when you were first admitted to (and registered in) a degree program at U of T Scarborough or the Faculty of Arts and Science. For more information about fees, please visit the Office of Student Accounts website Select the appropriate session, and click on “Divisional Tuition Fee & Refund Schedules”. Select University of Toronto Scarborough - Undergraduate from the list for detailed fee information.
Fee Assessments for All Students
|Course Load per Semester||Tuition Charge||Status|
|0.5 - 1.0 credit||Per course fee||Part-time|
|1.5 - 1.75 credits||Per course fee||Full-time|
|2.0 credits or more||Program fee||Full-time|
Students in the above mentioned programs who have earned 4.0 credits or more will initially have their tuition fees assessed at a deregulated program rate regardless of the number of courses they take. Students who are enrolled in 0.5 – 1.75 credits per semester (including approved, interim, requested, and waitlisted courses) may request to have their fees adjusted to pay the per-course fee, and will have their invoices updated to reflect the correct fee assessment once the request has been approved by the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will be monitoring, verifying, and correcting student accounts to ensure that their fees have been correctly assessed in partnership with the students who declare their course load each semester in which they are a registered student (Fall, Winter, Summer).
Student Declaration Period & Responsibilities
Students should review their invoice on ACORN carefully. A standard course load is 2.5 credits per semester. If you plan to enrol in fewer than 2.0 credits, declare your course load on eService by the declaration period below:
|Summer 2017 F & Y Courses||April 3 - May 7, 2017|
|Summer 2017 S Courses||April 3 - June 25, 2017|
Once the declaration period ends, students who are charged program fees will no longer be eligible to self-declare their course load for the semester; the assessment of program fees will be frozen and no further changes will be made, even if the course load drops below 2.0 credits that semester. Students must be diligent and proactive, as accommodations cannot be made once the declaration period has ended. Students are responsible for understanding, and paying their tuition fees.
Students Enrolled in 2.0 Credits or More per Semester
- Are not required to declare their course load on eService.
- If you drop your course load below 2.0 credits, you are advised to declare your course load on eService by the deadlines above in order to have your tuition fees adjusted from the program fee to per-course fee.
Students Enrolled in 0.5 - 1.75 Credits per Semester
- Declare your course load on eService by the deadline above to notify the Registrar's Office
- You will be charged the program per-course fee, and will not be eligible to enrol in more than 1.75 credits on ACORN. If your plans change, and you wish to enrol in you visit the Registrar's Office in person to request an adjustment. We will increase your course load eligibility, and you will be charged program fees.
Students on a Co-op Work Term (or Who Do Not Enrol in Courses)
- You are encouraged to complete the declaration on eService to have your fee assessment assessed at the program per-course rate.
- Program fee charges will be reversed when reports are run and we verify that you are not enrolled in courses.
- You are responsible for paying your co-op (and all other appropriate) fees.
Declare Your Course Load on eService
- Login to eService
- Select "Fees" and click "Request for Change from Program to Per-Course Fee."
Academic and Financial Support
Should you have questions about your course load, or your tuition fees, we encourage you to seek support.
- Speak with an Academic & Learning Strategist at the Academic Advising & Career Centre
- Staff at the Registrar's Office can offer you support and answer your questions related to financial aid opportunities, bursaries, and answer any questions you may have regarding the policies above.