- Restructuring of Biodiversity Conservation
- New cultural ecologies of consumption
- Cultural Identity in Northern Pakistan
- Diaspora Studies and Transnationalism
- Environmental Conservation and Sustainable Development
Awards and Grants:
- 2008 SSHRC Grants in Aid of Workshops and Conferences. $18, 000.
- 2008 The Christensen Fund, Werner Gren Foundation, National Science Foundation (with Eleanor Sterling, American Museum of Natural History, Luisa Maffi, Terra Lingua) $180, 000.
- 2007 University of Toronto Connaught New Staff Matching Grant. $55, 026.
- (2012) (with Catherine Corson) Enclosing the Global Commons: the Convention on Biological Diversity and Green Grabbing. Journal of Peasant Studies, 39(2) 263-283
- (2012) (with Catherine Corson) ‘TEEB Begins Now’ A Virtual Moment in the Production of Natural Capital. Development and Change 43(1) 159-184.
- (2010 Business, Biodiversity and New ‘Fields’ of Conservation: The World Conservation Congress and the Renegotiation of Organizational Order. Conservation and Society, 8(5) 256-275.
- (2010) Landscapes of Diversity: Development and Vulnerability to Food Insecurity in Subsistence Agroecosystems of Northern Pakistan, In Kugelman, M. (ed) Hunger Pains: Pakistan's Food Insecurity. Washington D.C.: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
- 2010 The Devil is in the (bio) Diversity: Private Sector 'Engagement' and the Restructuring of Biodiversity Conservation. Antipode, 42(3), 512-49.
- 2008 Environmental Degradation, Social Marginalization and the Institutional Dynamics of Vulnerability in the October 8, 2005 Earthquake, Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Final Research Report to the International Development Research Center.
- 2006 Memories of Tibet: Transnationalism, Transcultural ant the Cultural Politics of Identity Production in Northern Pakistan, India Review 5(2), 190-219.
- 2005 "Global Hunting Grounds: Power, Scale and Ecology in the Negotiation of Conservation". Cultural Geographies 12(3), 259-291.
- Editorial Advisory Board, ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geography
- 2004-Present Chair, Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy, Theme on Culture and Conservation, IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature)
- 2002-2004 Chair, Socialist and Critical Geography Specialty Group, Association of American Geographers