- To advance and recognize individuals with highly distinguished research accomplishments and those who display exceptional research promise at the University of Toronto Scarborough
- To raise researcher profile and create leveraging opportunities
- To provide a program that is managed at the campus level and held to institutional standards
- To contribute to an attractive scholarly environment at the University of Toronto Scarborough and to assist academic units in recruitment and retention efforts
Award and Conditions
- Up to three Research Excellence Scholars will be selected each year, building up to a maximum of nine Research Excellence Scholars over the next three years.
- Thereafter, up to three new Research Excellence Scholars will be selected each year
- Open to tenured faculty at the rank of Associate or Full Professor
- Faculty members should hold or have held Tri-Agency or other external research funding
- Faculty members who hold a CRC, industrial chair, endowed chair, University Professorship, Distinguished Professorship or other named professorship, or who are serving as a Departmental Chair or Centre Director, are not eligible
- The award is not renewable.
- Award terms will be from July 1st to June 30th for three years.
The award includes
- The title of “University of Toronto Scarborough Research Excellence Faculty Scholar” for three years
- A stipend of $10,000 each year to be used in support of research activities
- A citation to be presented at an appropriate occasion
- The delivery of a public lecture given to the University of Toronto Scarborough community and open to the public once during the three year term
- The creation of a video for marketing/promotional and knowledge mobilization purposes
- A brief annual report outlining research achievements for the last year
- Nominations should normally be made by Department Chairs/Centre Directors
- Each academic unit may nominate one faculty member per year
- The nomination package includes:
1. A letter signed by the Chair/Director detailing the reasons for the nomination written in clear non-specialist language for an interdisciplinary audience. The letter should contextualize the impact of the nominee’s research achievements and funding record to disciplinary norms of excellence nationally and internationally to help enable all members of the Selection Committee to effectively evaluate nominations involving fields outside of their disciplinary expertise.
2. At least two letters of support from internationally recognized scholars in the nominee’s field from outside the University of Toronto. The nomination letter will include an explanation of why these scholars were chosen. The referees will be asked to comment on the international stature of the nominee, the specific impacts of his/her research, and the broader value of his/her research contributions; or the nominee's potential and ability to independently lead a program of research and establish an international reputation.
3. The candidate’s full up-to-date curriculum vitae.
4. A short biography (500-700 words) highlighting in plain language the candidate’s education career history and key achievements and awards. This is an invaluable document for the Selection Committee and will be used as the basis for the public announcement in the event that the nominee is selected to be a Research Scholar.
Annual nomination deadline: February 1 (or the next business day if the 1st falls on a weekend/holiday). Nominations must be submitted electronically in one PDF file to email@example.com.
Questions about this award should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject “Research Excellence Faculty Scholars Award”.
Nominees must be:
- Outstanding and innovative world-class researchers whose accomplishments have made a major impact in their fields
- Recognized internationally as leaders in their fields
- Conducting original, innovative research of high quality
- A Selection Committee composed of U of T Scaborough Research Advisory Board members, with the Vice-Principal Research as the Chair of the Committee, will meet to evaluate and recommend the top three candidates each year
- Recipients will be announced each year around the beginning of June.