Anthropology / Health Studies
- North American representative of the International Association of Human Biologists
- Council Member of the International Association of Human Biologists
- Canadian Association of Physical Anthropologists
- Adjunct status, Department of Anthropology, McMaster Univers
- Physical Anthropology
- Social Anthropology
- Human Biology
Awards and Grants:
- 2005-2009 Burke, S.D.A. and L.A. Sawchuk. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Standard Grant, "Tuberculosis and the Family in Ontario: 1900-1950" ($47,036). (20% Sawchuk).
- 2005-2009 Sawchuk, L.A. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Standard Grant, "The Great Fever Epidemic- A lesson from the past" ($100,000).
- 2004 Provostial Grant and Matching Scarborough Funds – approximately 10,000 for developing Outbreak IV. – Exploring Infectious Diseases in Virtual Populations.
- 2010 Sawchuk, L.A., Tripp, L. and M.M. Mohan 2010 Voluntariness of Exposure: Life in a Convict Station. The Prison Journal first published on April 12, 2010
- 2010 Sawchuk, L.A. Deconstructing an Epidemic: Cholera Gibraltar. Summer 2010. A chapter in "Plagues: Models and Metaphors in the Human 'Struggle'" edited by D.A. Herring and A.C. Swedlund Berg Publishers. Chapter 6:95-118
- 2009 Sawchuk, L.A. Rethinking the Impact of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic on Sex Differentials in mortality. Amer. J. Phys. Anthrop. 139:584-590.
- 2008 Sawchuk, L.A. Deconstructing an Epidemic: Cholera in Gibraltar. In Press A chapter in "Plagues: Models and Metaphors in the Human ‘Struggle’" edited by D.A. Herring and A.C. Swedlund. Berg Publishers. 26 pages, 6 tables, 3 figures and 1 appendix.
- 2008. Sawchuk, L.A. Bryce, E. and S.D.A. Burke Breastfeeding Trends in Gibraltar, 1955-96 In Press. A chapter in: Biosocial Perspectives on Human Diet and Nutrition part of the Biosocial Series run by the Biosocial Society and published by Berghahn Press (Oxford, New York). Edited by Moffat, T. and T. Prowse. 34 pages, 13 figures, 2 tables.
- 2008. Sawchuk, L.A. and Burke, S.D.A. Outside the Boundaries - The Barefooted Foreigner: A Case Study of the Scapegoat in 19th Gibraltar. In Press. Current Anthropology. 25 pages, 2 figures.
- Health and the Urban Environment
- Contemporary Human Evolution and Variation
- Quantitative Methods in Anthropology
- Methods and Analysis in Anthropological Demography
- Environmental Stress
- Culture and Human Adaptability