Google Search

Size: A | A | Reset
Change Contrast

The Residential Tenancy Act

The RTA is the provincial legislation that governs the relationship of residential landlords and tenants in Ontario. Your rental accommodation may be an apartment, a house, or a room in a rooming, lodging or boarding house. These units are covered under the RTA.

However, if you share a bathroom and/or kitchen with the owner or the owner’s immediate family, your living accommodations will not be covered under the RTA. If you are planning to look for this type of accommodation, consider developing some "House Rules" that can cover many of the points discussed in this guide. Ideally, these should be negotiated and signed as part of your original discussions with the owner.

The Landlord and Tenant Board is a quasi-judicial agency, set up under the RTA to provide information about the Act, and to resolve tenancy disputes either through mediation or adjudication. The Landlord and Tenant Board also provides landlords and tenants with information about the rights and obligations each has under the RTA. Their Toronto offices are located at:

Toronto - Toronto South Regional Office
79 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 212
Toronto, Ontario M4T 1M6

Toronto - Toronto North Regional Office
47 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M2N 5X5

Toronto East - Durham Regional Office
2275 Midland Avenue, Unit 2
Toronto, Ontario M1P 3E7
They can be reached at 1-888-332-3234 or at

Residential Tenancies Act, 2006   Residential Tenancy Agreement (Standard form of Lease)

© University of Toronto Scarborough