Off-Campus Work


As of June 1, 2014, certain international student may be eligible to work off campus without a work permit. To qualify to work off-campus, you must:
• have a valid study permit
• have a full-time status and enrolled in a degree program which is at least 6 months in duration

Students in the following programs are not eligible to work off-campus:
• Students in ESL or FSL programs including AEP, Green path and Fair Taiwan, while studying only English as second language in summer
• non-degree ,visiting or exchange students;
• Students in continuing education and general interest programs

If you currently have a valid off-campus work permit, you may continue to work off campus under your existing Off-Campus Work Permit until your permit expires.
And you must meet the following conditions:
• maintain full-time status in a degree program which is at least 6 months in duration and
• maintain good academic standing (maintain a minimum GPA of 1.6 or better)

Hours of work

If you qualify, you are allowed to work off-campus:

• Up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions with full-time status,
• Full-time during scheduled breaks such as summer and winter holidays and reading weeks

U of T Scarborough is on a trimester system with three distinct sessions: Summer, Fall and Winter. To maintain your eligibility to work off-campus you must be registered full-time in at least 2 of these sessions during each calendar year.

Please note that you must maintain full-time status during the academic sessions before and after your scheduled break (e.g. summer can be considered a scheduled break to work full-time if you hold full-time status during the fall session prior to as well as winter session subsequent to the summer break). Each scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively. Graduate students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study because they are normally considered to have a continuous full-time status during each calendar year. If during your final academic session, the course load required to complete the program of study is part-time, you are still eligible to work off-campus part-time. International students can apply for a post-graduation work permit during the 90-day transition period following the completion of their program of study. If you are eligible to work off-campus, you can continue to work (full-time hours permitted) provided that you hold a valid study permit and have applied for a post-graduation work permit. You must stop working if your post-graduation work permit application is refused.

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the eligibility requirements to work off-campus. (e.g., if you are on academic suspension or no longer a full-time student during an academic session.) Students who fail to comply with the terms and conditions of their study permits and off-campus regulations and do not stop working may be subject to enforcement actions taken by Canadian immigration authorities, or invalidation of  their study permit . It may also negatively affect future immigration applications.

To work off-campus and get paid, you need to apply for Social Insurance Number (SIN) in person at the closest Service Canada Center. If your study permit indicates that you “may accept employment”or “may work ” in Canada, present your study permit (and your passport) to the Service Canada Center to obtain your SIN. If your study permit does not indicate that you ” may accept employment”or “may work” in Canada , please follow instructions to apply to amend or change conditions of your study permit before you can apply for a SIN.