What is Captivate?
Create a short digital story—a video, podcast, website, or another format—that tells YOUR story, and compete to win cash prizes including a day-in-the-life experience as a social media influencer at Viral Nation and more!
What will you learn?
If you are currently a student in Management or Journalism—or any undergraduate program at UTSC—then participate in Captivate and learn key skills every industry professional needs, including how to:
- Engage audiences with innovative, compelling content.
- Work with digital tools and creative teams.
- Structure stories that entertain, educate, and resonate emotionally.
- Understand the storyteller’s role in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Activate an array of channels and platforms to communicate ideas effectively.
- Unlock your creativity and build a portfolio of outstanding digital content.
Launch event (Thu, Sep 15): The Art of Digital Storytelling with amazing guest speakers, tasty food, and all the details about how to compete in the competition will be shared.
Training sessions: Not sure how to create digital content? No problem. You'll receive training from UTSC's best on the Essentials of Digital Storytelling on September 21 or October 3, and Research for Storytelling self-paced module.
Awards and Prizes!
Winners of the Captivate competition will receive the Sandford Borins Award in Digital Communications along with the following prizes:
Day-in-the-life experience of a talent agent at Viral Nation, the world’s first influencer marketing agency.
Have your story featured on U of T social media channels and gain exposure!
$400 gift certificate
$300 gift certificate
$100 gift certificate
How to sign up?
Register for the launch event on September 15! If you can't make it to the launch event, no problem, register for the competition here by September 20, 2022.
This initiative honours Sandford Borins, Professor Emeritus of Public Management, who was a faculty member of the Department of Management at UTSC from 1990 to 2020.