Our Food Discussion Cafes (FDC) serve as an educational outlet for celebrating the cultural diversity at U of T Scarborough through food while informing our community about topics related to sustainability issues, food security and food sovereignty.
- Establish a grassroots food alternative to the mainstream fast food options currently available at UTSC
- Allow students the opportunity to become aware of where their food comes from and be part of the cooking processes (hands on cooking)
- Provide a warm and open environment in which students, staff and faculty can come together, forming a stronger community and discuss various issues and topics
- Emphasize the importance of eating locally grown and seasonal foods
- Provide delicious, healthy and well-balanced vegetarian options
- Encourage students to understand the benefits of eating a plant based balanced diet
- Be innovative and creative with every meal prepared
*In collaboration with the DSL Leadership Development Program, the WELEAD Culinaria-Sustainability program was created in 2015. This program promotes discussions around local and global issues while developing more sustainable food habits, discovering resources to support eating locally as well as intercultural communication techniques. Various workshops will be available throughout the semester for you to receive credit towards this certification program.
The Office also presents themed FDC's such as Pal-entines and Spook-tober FDC!
The FDC’s give the students, staff and faculty at UTSC a chance to explore various recipes that are healthy, and vegan, made from locally grown produce. The events will begin with a brief presentation on why local foods are important for our daily lives and the influences of the meat production industries. In addition, this event mainly reflects the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #12 (responsible consumption and production), #8 (decent work and economic growth), #15 (life on land), and #13 (climate action)
UTSC Sustainability Office Cookbook:
- Sweet and Savoury Crepes
- Mystery Organic Good Food Box (Russian Borscht, Apple and Pear Salad with homemade vinaigrette, Banana Fritters & Thai Sweet Potato Curry Soup)
- Sweet Potato Pancakes and Thai Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- Vegetarian Chilli, Freshly baked Italian herb bread and Apple Crisp
- Sushi Rolls (California Rolls)
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Harira-Minestrone Fusion Soup with Pesto Pasta and Apple Crumble
- Vegetarian Chili with Fresh cabbage and carrot spring rolls and Banana Bread Muffins
- Garden Kale and Banana Smoothies
- Fresh Coleslaw made with garden cabbage and locally grown carrots