Work Permits

Work Permit

One of the advantages of choosing to study in Canada is that you are allowed to get Canadian work experience while you are here!  Some types of work require that you have a permit in order to work legally. 



Off-Campus Work

As of June 1, 2014, certain international student may be eligible to work off campus without a work permit. Click here to find out if you qualify to work off-campus.

Co-op Work Permit

International students enrolled in the co-op program are required to have a Co-op Work Permit (COWP) before starting the work terms. 

Post-Graduation Work Permit

As an international student at the University of Toronto, you have the opportunity to stay and work in Canada up to 3 years after finishing your degree program with a post-graduate work permit (PGWP).

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.