- Change in environment (anxiety about moving away from or back home, adjustment to living arrangements).
- Change in social relationships (anxiety about the impact of changes in relationships with friends and family).
- Mixed feelings about coming to (or leaving) university (excited and unprepared for what is to come).
- May have questions about new environment and social arrangements (Will I fit in? Will I like my roommates?).
- Academic and financial deadlines.
- Applying for OSAP, student loans and external scholarships.
- Attend Get Started academic orientation during June or July by the Academic Advising & Career Centre.
- Students can refer to the new Course Calendar for the upcoming year.
- Attend orientation events and activities in late August and early September to meet students, staff and faculty. Popular events include Welcome Day, Faculty Mix & Mingle and SCSU's orientation. Student Housing & Residence Life also has a specialized orientation experience for those students living in residence on campus.
- Register for the First-Year Experience Program from the Student Life programs.
- Take a campus tour in person or online with Admissions & Student Recruitment to explore the new environment and learn about the programs and services available.
- Talk to a counsellor about how you are feeling. The Health & Wellness Centre on campus offers individual and group counselling services to registered students.
- Try something new during the summer! The Outdoor Recreation program, offered by the Department of Athletics & Recreation, provides students with unique experiences, such as stand-up paddle boarding, white water rafting, and more!