- Making friends and fitting in, becoming familiar with surroundings.
- Adjusting to a different learning environment (New courses, increased workload and new methods of evaluation).
- Adjusting to less structure than in high school and the self discipline needed to study.
- Questioning choice of university and/or academic program.
- Feeling homesick, getting along with roommate(s).
- Experiencing new found freedom and testing self-imposed boundaries.
- If living at home, an expectation that life at home will change too.
Getting a part-time job.
Managing a budget and own finances for the first time.
- Attend orientation events and activities in late August and early September to meet students, staff and faculty. Popular events include Welcome Day, Faculty Mix & Mingle and SCSU's orientation. Student Housing & Residence Life also has a specialized orientation experience for those students living in residence on campus.
- Visit the Centre for Teaching & Learning, the Academic Advising & Career Centre, the Writing Centre and the Library to learn about the academic resources available on campus.
- Get to know your athletic facilities on campus! The Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre is located on the northern part of the campus. All registered UTSC students have access to the facility through their TCard. For more information on hours and programming available, visit the Department of Athletics & Recreation website.
- Talk to a counsellor about how you are feeling. The Health & Wellness Centre on campus offers individual and group counselling services to registered students.
- Register for the First-Year Experience Program from the Student Life Programs.
- Pick up a copy of the Student Experience Guide produced by the Office of Student Experience & Wellbeing for an overview of programs and services available (Student Centre, SL157).
- Pick up a student planner and agenda from the SCSU office in the Student Centre.
- Log into the Career Learning Network for on campus and off campus part-time job opportunities.
- Check out the Money Matters presentation on the Get Started website.