PhD (University of Chicago), MPP (University of California Berkeley), BA & BS (University of California Berkeley)
- Institute of Health Policy, Management, & Evaluation (IHPME) Dalla Lana School of Public Health
- Institute for Life Course and Aging, University of Toronto
- University of Toronto Department of Medicine
- Gerontological Society of America
- Canadian Association on Gerontology
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research
- life course and aging
- work identity and retirement
- later life health information seeking behaviors
- perceptions about aging
Awards and Grants:
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), Principle Investigator (2018)
- Health, Retirement and Retirement Security, Co-Principle Investigator (2016)
- Mitacs Accelerate Cluster, Principle Investigator (2015)
- Connaught New Researcher Award (2015)
- Research Competitiveness Fund, UTSC Vice-Principal Research (2015)
- Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR) Operating Grant, Collaborator (2014-2018)
- Centre for Teaching and Learning Teaching Enhancement Grant (2012)
- NIA Pre-doctoral Training Fellow (2006-2008)
- Silver, M.P. (forthcoming/2019). The unbearable lightness of being retired. The Canadian Journal on Aging / La Revue canadienne du vieillissement. 38(1): 36 pages.
- Silver, M.P. (2018). Retirement and Its Discontents: Why we won't stop working, even if we can. New York: Columbia University Press
- Silver, M.P., & Williams, S.A. (2018). Reluctance to retire: An intergenerational perspective on work identity and retirement from academic medicine. The Gerontologist. doi:10.1093/geront/gnw142
- Silver, M.P., McRoberts, S., & Singh, H. (2018). When working out works out: Program administrators’ perspectives on seniors’ exercise participation. Activities, Adaptation & Aging. 41(4):1-22. doi:10.1080/01924788.2017.1376177
- Silver, M.P. (2017). Physician retirement: Gender, geography, and pensions. Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ)
- Silver, M.P. & Easty, L.K. (2017). Planning for retirement from medicine: A mixed methods study of barriers and facilitators to physician retirement. Canadian Medical Association Journal Open. 5(1): E123-129. doi:10.9778/cmajo.20160133
- Silver, M.P., Hamilton, A., Biswas, A. & Warrick, N. (2016). A Systematic Review of Physician Retirement Planning. BMC Human Resources for Health. 14(67): 1-13. doi: 10.1186/s12960-016-0166-z
- Silver, M.P. (2016). A critical reflection on physician retirement. Canadian Family Physician. 62(10), 783-4.
- Silver, M.P. (2016). An inquiry into self-identification with retirement. Journal of Women & Aging. 29(4), 1-12. doi:10.1080/08952841.2015.1018068.
- Silver, M.P., Hamilton, A.D., Biswas, A., Williams, S.A. (2016). Life after Medicine: A Systematic Review of Studies of Physicians’ Adjustment to Retirement. Archives of Community Medicine & Public Health, 2(1), 1-7. doi: 10.17352/2455-5479.000006
- Silver, M.P., Warrick, N., & Cyr, A. (2015). Student Expectations about Mental Health and Aging. Geriatrics and Gerontology Education. pp. 1-23. Available online ahead of print. doi: 10.1080/02701960.2015.1005288
- Silver, M.P., Pang, N.C., & Williams, S. (2015). “Why give up something that works so well?”: A preliminary investigation of retirement expectations among academic physicians. Educational Gerontology, 41, 5, 333-347. doi:10.1080/03601277.2014.970419
- Silver, M.P. (2015). Patient Perspectives on Online Health Information and Communication With Doctors: A Qualitative Study of Patients 50 Years Old and Over, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(1):e19. doi:10.2196/jmir.3588
- Silver, M.P. (2014). Socio-economic status over the lifecourse and Internet use in older adulthood. Ageing & Society, 34, 6, 1019-1034. doi:10.1017/S0144686X12001420
- Silver, M.P. (2010). Women’s retirement and self-assessed wellbeing: An analysis of three measures of wellbeing among recent and long-term retirees relative to homemakers. Women & Health, 50, 1-19. doi:10.1080/03630241003601111
Community Research & Non-Peer Reviewed Works:
- Silver, M.P. (2018). Retirement Expectations. IS it all that it's cracked up to be? Caregiver Solutions. 20(3): 8-10.
- Green, P., Fraser-Thomas, J., Silver, S. Khan, T. & Wolman, L. (2017). A Physical Literacy Strategy for Urban Indigenous Families Through the Life Cycle. A Collaborative Report produced by Native Child and Family Services of Toronto, 77 pages.
- Silver, M.P., Brown, A., Mazer, A., & O’Reilly, R. (2016). Health, Retirement and Retirement Security. White paper for the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan.
- Carey, A., Jurbala, P., Keila, P.S., McRoberts, S.R.W., Melnike, C.J., & Silver, M.P. (2016). Durable by Design: Active for Life. Canadian Sport for Life. ISBN: 978-1-927921-22-7 http://canadiansportforlife.ca/resources/active-life-durable-design
- Silver, M.P. (2015). Getting your ducks in a row to retire from medicine. Rehab & Community Care in Medicine, 24, 1, 18-22.
- Foundations in Health Studies (introductory level)
- Health, Aging, and the Life Course (B, C level)
- Health Research Methods (D level)
- Embodiment Across the Life Course (d level)
- Mixed Methods Research (graduate level)