Professor Tanner's research explores youth gangs, youth culture and criminality in Toronto.
Ph.D., University of Alberta
- Criminal Behaviour
- Musical Influence on Criminal Behaviour
- Researching Youth
- Julian Tanner, Mark Asbridge, Scot Wortley, "Listening to Rap: Cultures of Crime, Cultures of Resistance." Social Forces (forthcoming 2010)
- Teenage Troubles: Youth and Deviance in Canada (Nelson), 2010. 3rd edition. Oxford University Press.
- "Money, Respect and Defiance: justification for gang activity in Canada" (with Scot Wortley) Chapter 12 in Street Gangs, Migration & Ethnicity (eds.) Frank van Gemert, Dana Peterson & Inger-Lise Lien, 2008, William Publishing
- "Data, denials and confusion: The Racial Profiling Debate in Toronto". Reprinted in Controversies in Canadian Society, M. Reza Nakhaie, Nelson Publishing, 2007. (with Scot Wortley)