Study at Other Universities

University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) students who wish to study at another institution are encouraged to do so via a Letter of Permission (for Canadian Universities) or a formal International Exchange (for institutions outside Canada) through the Centre for International Experience (CIE).

One of the advantages of studying on exchange is the transfer credit assessments have been posted through the Transfer Explorer Program

Request for Transfer Credit (Post-Admission)

UTSC Students who have completed university level courses at another institution after admission or intend to complete university level courses at an accredited institution outside of Canada, may be eligible for transfer credit. The course(s) must be undergraduate level in arts, science or management and meet degree requirements at the host institution. Check the University of Toronto's transfer planning tool to see whether the courses have previously been assessed for transfer credit: Transfer Explorer. If the course(s) or institution are not listed, students may request to have the content of the courses assessed for possible transfer credit by providing detailed course outlines to:

The actual assignment of transfer credits takes place upon receipt of the official transcript received directly from the host institution, with confirmation of achieving at least one grade above a passing grade, (whatever a passing grade is at the host institution) and confirmation of the eligibility for transfer credit for the content of the course.

Current UTSC students who have already completed University level degree courses at another institution (including Canada), and have not received transfer credit, may proceed to fill out the transfer credit (post-admission) application.

There is always a degree of risk when studies are conducted outside of the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) and therefore, there is no guarantee that coursework completed at another institution will transfer to a degree program at UTSC.

GUIDELINES for assessing eligibility to receive transfer credit:

  1. Explanation of the reasons for requesting to take the course(s), in particular if a similar course is offered at the University of Toronto, the reason for not taking it at UTSC.

  2. Detailed course outlines, URL or catalogue descriptions from the host university are required.

  3. You have completed the equivalent of at least 3.0 full credits at UTSC and your status is "In Good Standing".

  4. The course(s) requested must be undergraduate Arts, Science, Management, or Economics course(s).

  5. A maximum of 5.0 full credits may be transferred. If you received 5.0 or more transfer credits upon admission or on a Letter of Permission, additional transfer credits will not be approved.

  6. Only 1.0 credit at the senior level (C or D level) will be permitted to transfer.

  7. Post-Admission transfer credits will not be granted for on-line courses or courses that are graded as Pass/Fail.

  8. Upon receipt of the official transcript directly from the host university and the detailed course outlines, transfer credit may be assigned for those courses where a final grade of a least one above a passing grade - whatever a passing grade is at the host university - is achieved. Please Note! The host university grades are NOT recorded on the University of Toronto transcript and are NOT included in the grade point average.

  9. If the course of study is intended to meet program requirements, it is your responsibility to check with the relevant Program Supervisor. Keep all correspondence for your personal records.
  10. Summer studies in China - As previously noted, we recommend you explore the CIE offerings through the University's partner institutions in China:

    Alternatively, the Woodsworth College Summer Study Abroad Program offers courses in China over the Summer Session which are UofT credits:

    To gain post-admission transfer credit from Summer Session studies in China, UTSC will consider only the following two options.

    1. Participation through a partner exchange institution. One can either consider going through CIE or independently. The deadline for applications through CIE is March 11th. Acceptable institutions:

      1. Fudan University
      2. Peking University

      In order to receive 1.0 FCE from either Fudan University or Peking University you will need to enroll in 6.0 units. Most courses carry a credit weight of 2.0 units. Therefore, you will need to complete at least two 2.0 unit courses for a half credit and three 2.0 unit courses for a full credit. Check Transfer Explorer for previously assessed credits. As these institutions are partner institutions, verification of studies through a government agency is not required. In the event you decide to complete studies at either one of these institutions independently, you will need to apply for post-admission transfer credit upon your return.

    2. Participation through the study abroad program through one of these institutions:

      1. Portland State University, OR
      2. Texas Wesleyan University, TX
      3. Bridgewater State University, MA

      (Please note. These three institutions require a Letter of Permission for their application process:

    These are the only two options UTSC will consider for post-admission transfer credit completed in the Summer Session in China.

I have read and understand the guidelines to be considered for transfer credit (post-admission).
I understand the formal assessment for transfer credit will only take place after the course is completed and I have submitted the required documentation.


The University of Toronto respects your privacy
Personal information that you provide to the University is collected pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. It is collected for the purpose of administering admissions, registration, academic programs, university-related student activities, activities of student societies, safety, financial assistance and awards, graduation and university advancement, and reporting to government. The University is also required to report student-level enrolment-related data to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities as a condition of its receipt of operating grant funding. The Ministry collects this enrolment data, which includes limited personal information such as Ontario Education Numbers, student characteristics and educational outcomes, in order to administer government postsecondary funding, policies and programs, including planning, evaluation and monitoring activities. At all times it will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions, please refer to or contact the University Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Coordinator at McMurrich Building, room 104, 12 Queen's Park Crescent West, Toronto, ON, M5S 1A8

© 2018 University of Toronto Scarborough. All Rights Reserved.