Programming in The Hub is designed around best practices for early-stage entrepreneurship and design thinking. It focuses on the validation of business concepts leading to both innovation and commercialization.
UTSC Startup Competition
In November 2018, The Hub will be holding its fourth annual Startup Competition – a Dragons’ Den style event. The idea is to support promising students and recent alumni in the creation of successful startups.
Participants who are interested in the Startup Competition should know from the outset, that unlike the Dragons’ Den TV show, this is not a pitch for an equity stake in your idea. It’s a contest to get you started. But it is also not just pie in the sky. Your ability to do what you intend, and the capability of the team you have formed, will prove vital. It is more than a pitch competition. You will need to convince the judges that you indeed can do what you are pitching!
Please note: winning the competition earns your team a seat in The Hub – residency will be required, meaning that funds may not be won and taken elsewhere. The releasing of funds is linked to startup performance.
- Buy a free ticket on Eventbrite prior to October 31, 2018: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/utsc-startup-competition-tickets-44680115428 * required
- Please buy a free ticket for each member of your team (helps with food planning)
- Once entered — send a copy of two pitch documents by November 6, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org, * required
- Please prepare a 4-minute pitch (first round) and your longer 12-minute pitch (second round) using PowerPoint
- Once entered, and your documents reviewed, you will be reviewed for entrance into the competition * required
- Attend the UTSC Startup Competition on November 18, * required
Winners will be notified immediately following the competition.
Check back here periodically for details, guidance, and advice.
Last updated March 29, 2018