Kingston's research interest include state formation and development, historical institutionalism and the political economy of the Middle East. He has a recent book entitled Reproducing Sectarianism: Advocacy Networks and the Politics of Civil Society in Postwar Lebanon (SUNY, 2013). Other selected publications include “Minorities, Civil Society, and the State in the Contemporary Middle East: A Framework for Analysis” in Routledge Handbook on Minorities in the Middle East, ed. Paul Rowe, forthcoming; “Challenging the Gatekeepers: Disability Rights Advocacy and the Struggle for Self-Representation within Lebanon’s Postwar Sectarian Democracy”, in (eds.) Bettina von Lieres and Lawrence Piper, Mediating States and Citizens: Representing the Marginalised in the Global South, New York: Palgrave/MacMillan, 2015; and “The Pitfalls of Peace-Building “From Below”: Governance Promotion and Local Political Processes in Post-Conflict Lebanon” in International Journal, Spring 2012, 67, 2, p. 333-350; “
- Illusions of Opportunity: Associational Networks, and the Politics of Advocacy in Postwar
- The Anti-Poltics of Peacebuilding: Civil Society and Governance Promotion in Postwar Lebanon
- Religious ‘Centres’ and Religious ‘Edges’: Conceptualising Islamic Violence in Contemporary Egypt
Awards and Grants:
- 2001 Workshop grant, Canadian Centre for Foreign Policy Development, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade "States within States: Incipient Political Entities in the Post Cold War World".
- 2001 GRG Grant .
- 1999 GRG Grant "the Politics of NGOs in Lebanon"
- "Promoting Social and Political Accessibility: The Disability Movement in Postwar Lebanon", Middle East Journal. Forthcoming 2010
- Britain and the Politics of Modernization in the Middle East, 1945 to 1958, Cambridge University Press, 1996 (hbk.) and 2002 (pbk.)
- "Donors, Patrons, and Civil Society: Environmental Politics in Postwar Lebanon in Global Perspective" in (eds.) O.P. Dwivedi and Jordi Diez, Environmental Management in a Global Context: Perspectives from the South, Broadview Press, 2008.
- "Promoting Civil Society in the Middle East and at Home: NGO’s, CIDA and the Middle East Working Group, 1991-2001" in (eds.) Paul Heinbecker and Bessma Momani, Canada and the Middle East: Theory and Practice, Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2007.
- "Contextualizing States within States: An Historical and Theoretical Introduction": in (eds.) Kingston and Spears, States within States: Incipient political Entities in the Post Cold War Era, Palgrave/MacMillan, 2004, pp. 1-14.
- Politics and Society in the Middle East I
- Politics and Society in the Middle East II
- International Development Studies: Advanced Seminar