Development of biologically active isatin derivatives; Development of new HTMs (hole transport materials) for application in Perovskite solar cells; Development of new educational tools and integration of technology in chemistry education
My current discipline-based research interests are primarily focused on working with 4th year research students in CHMD90Y/CHMD91H to synthesize isatin-based derivatives and their metal-coordinated complexes as potential biologically active compounds for a variety of cell lines. Additionally, I am collaborating with Dr Kagan Kerman and Dr Meissam Norouzifar to develop new hole transport materials (HTMs) for application in Perovskite solar cells (PSCs) to yield higher power conversion efficiency (PCE).
I am active in chemical education research, specifically exploring the integration of new technologies in chemical education. In collaboration with Dr Maryam Abdinejad since 2016, and as the first group at University of Toronto, we have developed a new Augmented Reality app (ARchemy) to help students visualize 3D molecular structures and conformations (such as Newman, Fischer, and cyclohexane chair conformations) both using a marker as well as marker-less on iOS and Android mobile devices.
We have received several Centre for Teaching and Learning and ITIF grants ($20,000) as well as exclusive support from UofT’s Mobile Application Development lab (MADlab) for the development and launch of the ARchemy app. We have published these technological advances and their impact on students’ learning in the Journal of Science Education and Technology (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-020-09880-2) and the Journal of Chemical Education.
- Abdinejad, M., Talaie, B., Qorbani, H.S., Shadi Dalili; “Student Perceptions Using Augmented Reality and 3D Visualization Technologies in Chemistry Education”; J Sci Educ Technol 2021, 30, 87–96
- Kalyani Sabanayagam, Vivek. D. Dani, Matthew John, Wanda Restivo, Svetlana Mikhaylichenko, and Shadi Dalili; “Developing and Implementing Lab Skills Seminars, a Student-Led Learning Approach in the Organic Chemistry Laboratory: Mentoring Current Students while Benefitting Facilitators”; J. Chem. Ed., 2017, 94 (12), 1881–1888
- Shadi Dalili, Allyson Skene; “Impact of Facilitated Study Groups on Student Learning in 2nd year Organic Chemistry Courses”; La Chimica nella Scuola, 2012, 3, 352-357
- Svetlana N. Mikhaylichenko, Olga Kvak, Shadi Dalili, Vladimir N. Zaplishny; “Synthesis of new 4,6‐disubstituted‐1,3‐5‐triazin‐2‐yloxy esters and N‐hydroxyamides”; Eur. J. Chem., 2010, 4, 302-306
- Mikhaylichenko, S.N.; Patel, S.; Dalili, S.; Chesnyuk, A.A.; Zaplishny, V.N. “Synthesis and structure of new 1,3,5-triazine-pyrazole derivatives”; Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50 (21), 2505-2508
- Caiazzo, A.; Dalili, S. & Yudin, A.K. Design and development of cyclohexane-based P,N- ligands for transition metal catalysis. Org. Lett. 2002, 4(15), 2597-2600
- Scarborough (UTSC)
- BSc, University of Tehran, Iran (1999)
- MSc, University of Toronto (2001)
- PhD, University of Toronto (2005)