Irena Frances Creed
Planetary health, climate change, watershed sciences, hydrology, biogeochemistry, ecology, terrestrial-aquatic linkages, forests, freshwater harmful algal blooms, carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, iron, sustainability, ecosystem services, communities-at-risk, scenario planning, risk management, science-policy interface
Awards and Grants
- Wallenberg Professorship (2021-2024), a distinguished international gest professorship award from the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (KSLA) for work on “Wetlands as a nature-based solution to support a thriving green sector”.
- Bancroft Award (Selected 2020), a distinguished award from the Royal Society of Canada for publication, instruction, and research in the earth sciences that have contributed to public understanding and appreciation.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (Elected 2019).
- Honorary Doctor of Agricultural Sciences, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden (Bestowed 2019).
- Tier II Canada Research Chair in Watershed Sciences (2007-2017).
- Erratt K*, Creed IF, Todoran I*, Freeman EC*, Favot EJ*, Tai V, Smol JP, Trick CG. Paleolimnological evidence reveals climate-induced preeminence of cyanobacteria in a temperate meromictic lake. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- Erratt KJ*, Creed IF, Chemali C*, Ferrara AJ*, Tai V, Trick CG. Lake browning effects on the physiological performance and competitiveness of red vs. green phenotypes of Pseudanabaena (cyanobacteria). Algae
- Paltsev A*, Creed IF. Are global changes driving cyanobacteria blooms to northern remote lakes? Ecosystems.
- Desforges JE, Clarke J, Harmsen EJ, Jardine AM, Robichaud JA, Serré S, Chakrabarty P, Bennett JR, Hanna DEL, Smol JP, Rytwinski T, Taylor, JJ, Martel AL, Winegardner AK, Marty J, Taylor MK, O’Connor CM, Robinson, SA, Reid AJ, Creed IF, Gregory-Eaves I, Lapoint NWR, Cooke SJ. On the alarming state of freshwater biodiversity in Canada. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- Twardek, W.M., E.A. Nyboer, D. Tickner, C.M. O’Connor, N.W.R. Lapointe, M.K. Taylor, I. Gregory-Eaves, J.P. Smol, A.J. Reid, I.F. Creed, V.M. Nguyen, A.K. Winegardner, J.N. Bergman, J.J. Taylor, T. Rytwinski, A.L. Martel, A.R. Drake, S.A. Robinson, J. Marty, J.R. Bennett and S.J. Cooke. In Press. Mobilizing practitioners to support the Emergency Recovery Plan for freshwater biodiversity. Conservation Science and Practice.
- Friedman KB, Creed IF. In Press. Harmful algal blooms in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin: Is it time for a binational sub-federal approach? Canada-United States Law Journal.
- Isles PDF*, Creed IF, Jonsson A, Bergstrom A-K. In Press. Tradeoffs between light and nutrient limitation in lake phytoplankton are influenced by dissolved organic matter properties. Ecosystems.
- Senar OE*, Creed IF, Trick CG. In Press. Lake browning may fuel phytoplankton biomass and trigger shifts in phytoplankton communities in temperate lakes. Aquatic Sciences.