Before coming to Toronto, Christian Pfeiffer was employed as a wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (roughly, assistant professor) and member of the Munich School of Ancient Philosophy at the Ludwig-Maximilians University and held a position as a visiting professor at the Humboldt University Berlin.
Christian Pfeiffer’s research interests are in ancient philosophy, in particular Aristotle. He is also interested in contemporary metaphysics. Current research projects include a monograph on Aristotle’s Metaphysics H as well as series of articles connected to topics in Aristotle’s Physics and Metaphysics.
Read more about Christian, his work and his interest in Philosophy in this interview.
MA, Humboldt University Berlin
- Dr. phil., Humboldt University Berlin
Teaching in 2020-21
PHLB31 Introduction to Ancient Philosophy
PHLC31 Topics in Ancient Philosophy: Plato
PHLC32 Topics in Ancient Philosophy: Aristotle
Ancient Philosophy, History of Philosophy, Metaphysics
- Aristotle’s Theory of Bodies. Oxford University Press, 2018.
- “Metaphysik H”, in: C. Rapp (ed.), Aristoteles: Metaphysik. Die Substanzbücher Zeta, Eta, Theta (Klassiker Auslegen),Akademie Verlag, expected date: 2018.
- “Joseph Geyser on Negative Judgments”, in: G. Hartung, C.G. King, C. Rapp (eds.), Aristotelian Studies in the 19th Century (New Studies in the History and Historiography of Philosophy), Berlin/New York: de Gruyter, expected date: 2018.
- “Aristotle on Thinking the Infinite” (with Mirjam Kotwick), in Mnemosyne 72 (2018), 1-29
- “Aristotle and the Thesis of Mereological Potentialism”, in: Philosophical Inquiry, 42, 3-4 (2018).
- “Aristotle on Being in the Same Place”, in: T. Buchheim and D. Meißner (eds.), Körper. Sôma und Corpus in der antiken Philosophie und Literatur, Meiner. 2016.
- “Grasping Aristotle’s Intellect” (with Pavel Gregorić), in: Documenti e studi sulla tradizione filosofica medievale XXVI (2015), 13-32
- “The Perfection of Bodies: Aristotle’s De Caelo I.1” (with Gábor Betegh and Francesca Pedriali), Rhizomata1 (2013), 30-62.
- “Philosophie des Geistes”, in: Aristoteles-Handbuch. Leben-Werk-Wirkung, C. Rapp und K. Corcilius, J.B. Metzler, 2011.