Industrial Organization, Applied Econometrics, Advertising Markets, Airline Markets
Industrial Organization; Applied Microeconomics; Applied Econometrics; Strategy; Media and Advertising; Airlines; Automobiles, Cross-Border Economics.
Awards and Grants:
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2013-2016, “Competition and price discrimination in the Canadian airline industry”; Co-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Mara Lederman. $151,899
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2011-2014, “The Economics of Border Crossings”; Principal Investigator. Co-investigators: Keith Head and Mariano Tappata. $60,000
- University of British Columbia SSHRC Grant, 2009; Principal Investigator. Co-investigator: Mariano Tappata. $8,000
- Dissertation Fellowship, Center for the Study of Industrial Organization, 2005
- Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award, Northwestern University, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Graduate Research Grant, Northwestern University, 2003
- Graduate Fellowship, Northwestern University, 2000-2001
Published and Accepted Papers:
- Chandra, Ambarish and Ulrich Kaiser, "Newspapers and Magazines", in The Handbook of Media Economics, Simon Anderson, David Stromberg and Joel Waldfogel eds., Elsevier, November 2015.
- Chandra, Ambarish, Keith Head and Mariano Tappata, "The Economics of Cross-Border Travel," Review of Economics and Statistics, 96(4), 648-661, October 2014. Note: this paper was formerly titled "Consumer Arbitrage Across a Porous Border."
- Chandra, Ambarish and Ulrich Kaiser, "Targeted Advertising in Magazine Markets and the Advent of the Internet," Management Science, 60(7), 1829-1843, July 2014.
- Chandra, Ambarish and Mariano Tappata, (2011) "Consumer Search and Dynamic Price Dispersion: An Application to Gasoline Markets," Rand Journal of Economics, 42(4), 681-704.
- Chandra, Ambarish, Sumeet Gulati and Milind Kandlikar, (2010), "Green Drivers or Free Riders? An Analysis of Tax Rebates for Hybrid Vehicles," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 60(2), 78-93.
- Chandra, Ambarish and Allan Collard-Wexler, (2009), "Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 18(4), 1045-1070. PDF
- Chandra, Ambarish (2009), "Targeted Advertising: The Role of Subscriber Characteristics in Media Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics 57(1), 58-84.
- “Who Loses when Outcomes are Negotiated? An Analysis of the New Car Market”, with Sumeet Gulati and James Sallee, March 2015 (Revise-and-resubmit).
- “Revisiting the Relationship between Competition and Price Discrimination in the Airline Industry”, with Mara Lederman, April 2015 (submitted).
- “How Does Advertising Depend on Competition? Evidence from U.S. Brewing”, with MatthewWeinberg, June 2015 (submitted).
Works in Progress:
- "The Airline Industry in Canada", with Mara Lederman. Funded by SSHRC Insight Grant, 2013-2016.
- "Airport Competition at the US-Canada border", with Mara Lederman.
- "How Wide is the Border? A New Perspective on Travel".
- Ph.D., Economics, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 2006. Advisor: Robert Porter.
- M.A. Economics, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 2001.
- B.A. Mathematics, University of Delhi, 1999.