Health Insurance

Health & dental coverage for UTSC Undergrad students with 2 phones in the background

Extended Medical & Dental Health Benefits

Provincial Health Insurance Plans

University Of Toronto Scarborough students are either covered under a provincial health insurance plan (e.g., OHIP for students from Ontario) or the University Health Insurance Plan (called UHIP).

  • If you are moving to attend university, remember to submit your change of address to OHIP
  • Students from other provinces are usually covered under their own provincial plans, but regulations vary from province to province. Some provinces require students attending out of province universities to submit a letter of acceptance from the university as well as proof of registration for the current year. Please check the regulations for your province.

NOTE: Provinces differ in the services covered by their health insurance plans. If you are an out-of-province student, please be aware of the coverage you will receive while in Ontario. Students who are not covered under provincial health insurance plans, including international students, exchange students and returning Canadians in their 3-month OHIP waiting period are required to have UHIP coverage. 

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

UHIP, the University Health Insurance Plan, is a compulsory plan for all students at the University of Toronto and their qualifying dependents who are not covered by OHIP or another province's health insurance plan.

The plan covers students and their dependents for most doctor and hospital visits in Ontario, much like OHIP coverage. Once participants have been issued a card, they will use this card as proof of enrollment in the plan. Claim forms are required for every visit.

Some health care providers (e.g., doctors, hospital, lab) can bill the plan directly for their services. Others will ask the students to pay at the time of their visit. The student will receive a receipt, which they can use to claim reimbursement by sending a claim form and receipt to the plan administrators. The UTSC Health & Wellness Centre will bill the plan administrators directly for the student.

For more information and assistance with UHIP, contact the UTSC International Student Centre or