Visiting Professors

The Department of Health and Society welcomes Visiting Professors who are interested in spending part or all of an academic year conducting interdisciplinary research about health, disability, illness, and disease. Visiting Professors contribute to the Department’s intellectual life collaborating with faculty members and by participating in research seminars and other events.

Although the Department of Health and Society is may not be in a position to provide office space, we provide online and library access and opportunities for collaboration with faculty.

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants are encouraged to contact faculty who might be interested in the Visiting Professor’s research and ask whether they would serve as their sponsor. Applicants may submit their application to visit the Department of Health and Society if the following eligibility criteria are met:

  • The applicant will be engaged in full-time research.
  • The visit is temporary, i.e., less than twelve months in duration.
  • The applicant is not paid by the University of Toronto Scarborough and has obtained their own funding for all expenses related to travel and accommodation.
  • The applicant has a full-time faculty position at another university or research institute and is on leave (e.g., sabbatical) and plans to return to their home institution at the end of their stay at the Department of Health and Society.

Application Process

  • Applications can be submitted any time.
  • Applications should be emailed to the Department of Health and Society Associate Chair Research (
  • Applications must be vetted by the Department of Health and Society Associate Chair Research, and a recommendation for appointment must be made by the Department of Health and Society Chair to the Vice-Dean Faculty Affairs, Equity & Success.
  • Successful applicants will receive an official letter of invitation from the Chair of the Department of Health and Society.

An application consists of:

  • A cover letter, specifying:
    • The applicant’s home institutional affiliation and status; 
    • The start and end dates of the proposed visit; and 
    • Confirmation that the applicant has funding to support the visit. 
  • A current curriculum vitae. 
  • A statement of no more than 1,000 words describing the research the applicant proposes to do during his or her visit and the reasons the Department of Health and Society is an appropriate setting for this research. 
  • A letter of support from the chair of the applicant’s home university primary department or academic unit.
  • A brief letter of reference from a Department of Health and Society faculty member who agrees to sponsor the visit, or, if a faculty sponsor has not been identified, two letters of reference from faculty at the applicant’s home institution.  

Letter of Invitation

  • The letter of invitation can be used as needed at the Visiting Professor’s home institution, or for any visa requirements. 
  • The letter will be accompanied by information providing the Visiting Professor with:
    • Information on how to obtain a temporary library card (T-Card) for the visit, for full library privileges at the University of Toronto.
    • Wireless access at University of Toronto libraries or via Eduroam Wireless Services.
  • An invitation to attend special lectures and workshop series that are listed on our website. 


Will I be provided with wireless services?

  • Yes. Eduroam, or educational roaming, is a secure worldwide access service that allows faculty, students, and staff to access wireless services at participating institutions by logging in with their home institution credentials. University of Toronto visitors from Eduroam-participating institutions should make arrangements to configure and test this option before leaving. Not all institutions are Eduroam-enabled. Please contact your home institution’s IT unit for support.

How do I found out about any special events and lectures?

  • Special events and lectures take place throughout the academic year, usually between September and the end of March. Please visit  here for more information. You can also download the current issue of The Bulletin, the University of Toronto’s faculty and staff newspaper to find out more about current events and news on campus (

Are there online maps of the UTSC campus available?

How do I obtain a visa?

How do I obtain medical insurance during my visit?

  • Canada does not pay for medical or hospital services for visitors. You must purchase health insurance. Please visit the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) website at for information on plans that cover the hospital and medical services of non-resident students, employees, and short-term university visitors at Ontario Universities and affiliated colleges and their families.

Where can I live during my visit?