Description: The Department of Health and Society is committed to making special efforts to support the academic excellence of Black students and challenge structural obstacles to their success. We are excited to launch a unique Essay Award opportunity and invite our Black students enrolled in Health Studies within the Department of Health and Society to submit an academic writing piece (i.e., a short research paper, literary essay, commentary, or opinion piece) that is 500 words or less on topics provided below.
Topics: We invite students to submit on one of the following topics:
- Pandemic in a pandemic: COVID-19 and Anti-Black racism
- Inequities in access to vaccinations for Black communities
- Anti-Black racism in medicine
- Black Leadership and Excellence in health and wellness
Award: The winning submission will receive $500.00, and the submission will be posted on the Department of Health and Society’s website and other social media platforms.
- Only one submission is permitted per student for this competition
- Submissions must be 500 words or less, 12-point font size, 1-inch margins. Submissions exceeding 500-word count will be withdrawn from the competition. Please include your full name, student number, year, and Health Studies major area.
- Submission can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday November 22nd, 2021. Submissions beyond the set deadline will not be accepted.
- Please include “Essay Award Competition_Last Name” in the subject line of your email.
- Submission deadline: Monday November 22nd, 2021
- Review process: November 22nd, 2021- December 17th 2021
- Announcement of the winner: January 2022
- Content: relevance to theme/topic, comprehensiveness, originality, insights
- Quality & organization: strength of discussion points, creativity, punctuation & grammar
- Clarity: clarity of thoughts, flow, consistency