DEADLINE EXTENDED: The deadline to apply is December 1, 2019!
The Department of Historical and Cultural Studies is excited to announce experiential learning placement opportunities for the Winter 2020 session!
Experiential learning placements will provide students with the opportunity to further their skills and integrate the knowledge and skills they have learned in the classroom with practical experiences. They are also a valuable opportunity to gain relevant work experience and develop professional networks, thereby enhancing CVs and becoming better prepared for future career and academic endeavors. Placements will also contribute to students’ understanding of the value and transferability of the skills gained from their program of study, and the wide range of opportunities that are available to them.
Students will complete a minimum of 80 hours at their placement site between January-May 2020 (exact start and end dates to be determined with site supervisor). Students are expected to attend preparatory workshops and engage in goal setting, reflection activities and a feedback survey throughout the duration of the placement period.
Placement Organization Hosts – Please click here for full placement descriptions:
- Council of Agencies Serving South Asians
- Project 1: Research on Employment Equity of South Asians in Toronto
- Project 2: Legal Education for Refugee Women
- Multicultural History Society of Ontario
- Institute of Islamic Studies – University of Toronto
- Project 1: Canadian Muslim public health research
- Project 2: Supporting the Muslims in Canada Archives (MiCA)
- Project 3: Canadian and American national security policy and law and the monitoring of Muslims in Canada
- Project 4: IIS Communications Strategy
- Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services
- Islamic Foundation School
Each student will receive a $1000 stipend during the placement period.
$250 will be paid to each student after they sign a placement agreement outlining their goals, responsibilities and hours and submit a copy to Heather Seto. Another $250 will be given to students upon completion of their midpoint reflection and the department check-in with their placement host. The last $500 will be paid to students after submitting confirmation of their hours and completing their final response/report and feedback survey.
- Preference will be given to 3rd and 4th year students however applications from all students are welcomed
- Must be enrolled in a program in the Department of Historical and Cultural Studies
- Transcripts may be reviewed as part of the selection process
- Application materials may be shared with host organizations as part of the selection process
- Please complete the online application: https://bit.ly/2X0ZPHW
- Please submit a copy of your resume to Heather Seto at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is December 1, 2019!