- Paleoclimate modelling of the influence of early land plants on carbon and water exchange with the atmosphere.
- Silicon cycling in terrestrial ecosystems: fluvial transport to oceans and implications for ocean productivity.
- Large-scale modelling of the Amazonian Basin, implications of Pliocene flooding for the global carbon cycle and atmospheric transport of water.
- Reconstructing paleobotanical ground cover over different geological periods and implications for boundary layer dynamics, particularly transport of atmospheric moisture.
- The nature of biological soil crusts, their identification in the fossil record and implications for early Earth paleoclimatology.