The online applications for the 2019-2020 academic year opens on October 1, 2018. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is strongly recommended that you apply well before the deadline:
- Early Deadline: January 15, 2019 (supporting documentation due February 1)
- Final Deadline: April 30, 2019 (supporting documentation due May 15)
Applications to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Environmental Science Program must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies (Admissions Application) using an online application which is housed on a secure server at the University of Toronto.
Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be emailed to you. You can leave and return to your application at any point until you move to the payment stage. At that point you can return to check on the status of the application including whether we have received your supporting documents.
How to apply
- Log in to the online application.
- Please note that the "Graduate Unit" for the online application is the Department of Physical & Environmental Sciences.
- Be prepared to submit contact information for at least THREE referees. Be sure to inform your referees that you are doing this and that the University of Toronto, School of Graduate Studies will be contacting them by email.
- Submit your payment $120 Cdn (online payment is preferred but mail-in payment is available). Please note that you will not be able to proceed any further until payment has been received.
Please upload the following to the SGS online system:
- One page Cover Letter which should explain why you are interested in attending an interdisciplinary program.
- One page Research Statement which should include research interests along with career and academic goals.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Unofficial scanned transcripts for each previous institution attended. Usually, this will be a scanned transcript, but in the case of Canadian post-secondary institutions, the applicant may submit a screen capture of their academic record from their institution's student web service.
- Applicants should indicate any faculty members they are interested in as a potential supervisor(s). Please reference any communication with a potential supervisor in the Potential Supervisor Form. Please refer to the Graduate Faculty section on the DPES home page for a list of Gradute Faculty Members.
- Arrange to complete and submit Official English Facility Test Results. Applicants educated outside Canada should pay particular attention to the English-language competency requirements. Read the international students section for more information.
- Be aware of the deadline dates for application and documents.
Please complete all sections (biography, education, program of study, reference contact and payment) of the online application by the supporting documentation deadline date.
Applications are considered complete and can be reviewed only after all documentation is received by the graduate unit by the deadline date. In this case, all supporting documentation needs to be sent to:
Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science Program, Room EV252
Department of Physical & Environmental Sciences,
University of Toronto Scarborough
1265 Military Trail
Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4
Please DO NOT send supporting documentation to the School of Graduate Studies as this could significantly delay the processing of your application.